Monday 23 June 2014

Conversations with Strangers...

Putting money in the meter early last Saturday morning I smiled at the young man picking up his ticket and asked "Did you watch the Netherlands this morning?" He smiled "Yes, great game. Here's hoping we can do the same." Given where we were parking, it was obvious we were headed to the same place.

In the queue for coffee yesterday, I asked the man in line behind me, "So was it a goal or not?" He laughed, "I'm French. Of course it was!"

What I love about festivals of sport, like the Olympics or World Cup, there is an instant conversation starter, and a friendliness of likeminded audience, keen to talk about what they've watched. There is a camaraderie created in the city, taking to the streets.

I can go to the footy or roller derby and start chatting to those around me.  There is a really positive side to 'herd mentality' at times, and it's a bringing together of a new tribe, if only for a short period of time...

I was in a pub watching the 2007 Grand Final when the a Cats supporter invited the lone Power supporter to come and share a glass of their victory champagne, having not spoken throughout the game except to yell at the screen.

It is a shame this friendliness stops once the game is over. We go back to our private worlds, unwilling to invite interactions with the world at large. We stay in our circles, we might occasionally share a smile or comment, but not with the same enthusiasm or frequency.

So for the next few weeks, I will revel in the fun and joyful sociability of those that love the World Cup, sharing the highs and lows of a month long celebration.

This was for the prompt Conversations with Strangers, which has been postponed until next month. So as is my want, I am going a whole month early with this post.

Linking up my now somewhat out of date post on Conversations with Strangers

7 comments:

  1. I love how you can start to chat to strangers !!! I'm the person who smiles and carries on walking without saying anything to anyone around me - LOL !!!! (Although if someone talks to me I do reply - I'm not completely rude !!!)
    Have the best day !
    Me xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find this so hard to believe of you. It seems so at odds with the 'you' I know.

      Delete
  2. I love that sport can bring out a sense of community in people - we need more of that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that excitement that arises from sporting events. I've spoken to so many strangers lately about the commonwealth games. It is strange that while I am quite shy I do quite frequently like to strike up banter with strangers. Some people are quick to move on others like to linger and chat. I love meeting new people and hearing their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that sport creates community. I admire watching this in my Husband. The ability to talk and be friendly to strangers is a lovely trait to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to cringe when my mother spoke to everyone then I realised I do it myself! I think it depends on where you are. I know as we take public transport, my kids and I meet strangers everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Even I join in with the "sports" conversation with strangers - now that is saying quite a lot - since I'm not that into sport. I remember sitting in a bar in New York when the World Cup was on, hubby and I were the only Aussies there and we had a bar full of instant friends! Thank you for linking up and linking up early! Josefa

    ReplyDelete