Follow by email:

Monday, 18 May 2015

First of the Month Fiction - June

And just like that, we're mid year! How did that happen? I'm still getting a handle on writing 2015 instead of last year's date!

I have just started Vonnegut's Jailbird, and in it, he tells a story of how he wanted to write a story about he and his father becoming good friends when reunited in Heaven, however the story became very peculiar and silly instead. "It insisted on being a very unfriendly story, so I quit writing it." I loved this quote. The stories do take on a life of their own, and often what you intend to write turns into something completely different.

For me, I don't quit writing it, they just end up here.

And so it goes. (Vonnegut fans know what I just did...)

For newcomers, write a story in 100 words exactly or one less than 30 words. Put the story in the comments here, and link your blog below, so we can see your writing without a word count!

The Roar

Eventually her silence grew too much to bear. The neglect became too frequent, highlighted by his attentiveness to all around him, except her. She finally stood and yelled ENOUGH!

(I want to do something with this, but all I can think of is a little mouse suddenly standing it's ground, which then implies a children's book, which is not entirely how I think the story works, so it ended up here for filing, to be looked at later when I can sort out something more substantial).

Until next month....

16 comments:

  1. Oh that is a fierce mouse! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for her! :) #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for her! :) #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely appreciate a story that has a life of its own. The best usually do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often considered joining it but I just can't seem to write anything that makes sense in 30 or 100 words! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea... although I'd totally struggle with 100 words (I'm a waffler lol).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go the mouse!

    Here I go.

    Shondra was contemplating the need for shaving her legs. In theory, she should be ok letting it go; it was a cold day and pants were necessary. However it was Sunday, and she always shaved her legs on Sunday as a matter of ritual. And ritual was not to be discounted.
    Sighing, she picked up the razor and began; if she didn't she knew she would just end up back in the bathrom later that day doing it.
    She was halfway through the second leg, when the phone rang. Setting down the razor, she looked at the caller ID, and screamed.

    I wasn't going to end it like that, but I only had one word left and it worked.
    I would love to know who was calling her though, and why she is so high strung!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that end!! It made me chuckle!! You could send it off to f(r)iction...will forward that to you (I know nothing about them but thought I'd try something kooky...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love where that story could possibly go, Lydia. Hoping you do end up fleshing it out, when it speaks to you.
    I can't even begin to imagine writing anything that makes sense, in so few words. Babbler all the way here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love where that story could possibly go, Lydia. Hoping you do end up fleshing it out, when it speaks to you.
    I can't even begin to imagine writing anything that makes sense, in so few words. Babbler all the way here :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It could be a little mouse, but could also be about a relationship of sorts. Too predictable? A husband and wife? Doctor and patients? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I like this idea. I am going to have a think (after my coffee) and see what I can come with. Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could still use a mouse for a novel. Why not? I think it's great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, a roaring mouse, or a roaring mousey woman, who has reached the end of her tether!

    Stopping by for #TeamMM today :)

    ReplyDelete