Follow by email:

Tuesday, 28 June 2016

First of the Month Fiction - July

I'm shutting up shop for the holidays, which is good as apparently my laptop has decided to die just in time for the end of financial year...oh, yay!. Anywho, have a fab couple of weeks and I'll be around on Insta and Twitter, less so on FB (if that's even possible). But all back to business round the 18th. Drive safe and have fun to those also on hols, enjoy the cessation of after school activities for those with kids and write a story for here, everybody else. You have until the 18th, so plenty of time to join in.

Either less than 30 words or 100 words exactly - pop it in the comments and then link your blog if so inclined.

Mine was prompted by a FB post by the Flashpacker Family - out of the mouths of babes and all that:
Hazel (aged 2): I have to go... Bye!
Me: Where are you going?
Hazel: ...Hong Kong! *runs off*

My story is of the 100 words variety.


They were fighting again. Shrill shrieks pierced the air and her back stiffened. She looked at the mess and the children in the centre of it, pulling at the same princess dress. She walked silently to her room, grabbed her passport and the novel off the bedside table, checking she had her credit card in her purse as she passed the fracas on her way to the door.
She looked at her husband and stated “I don’t have time for this anymore. I’m going to Hong Kong”

Bewildered, a silence fell on the room as everyone pondered the closing door.




24 comments:

  1. Oh yes! That would be tempting. Good thing I don't have a passport :)


    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it (as always !!!)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a brief stop over in Hong Kong lol. Can't come soon enough ...I'm off to Shanghai with Dragon boat paddlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really can say it! I hope you make your departure dramatic ;) How exciting will that be? Is it across the harbour?

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Glad you like it - your daughters exchange put a smile on my face and i high fived her attitude...but I rarely write happy exhuberent stories so obviously I had to bring it down...(well, maybe this is a happy story, maybe her family were jerks ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh I want to run away all the time...and I don't even have kids! Which means just running away from my current life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Love it! Wonder if it's ever been done?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about your laptop. I went through those dramas a few months ago - very frustrating. As for that time off, savour every second!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Now I have two passports, does that mean I can go to two destinations? Like a multi trip? Happy Holi-yays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe great little story. I'm lucky to get a trip to Tesco or even the bathroom on my own never mind hong Kong! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that's so tempting some days! Although I can't complain too much, I'm having childfree time at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! On the weekend my husband and I squabbled over who would get to go to the shops alone and who had to stay home with our sick toddler. :P I won!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you linked up with Kirsty because I keep forgetting to link here! I'll blame chemo/radiation brain. But I'm back!

    Here's something I prepared earlier:

    The mug perched precariously on the tower of washing up. Slowly she eased it out. Her life had become like the pile of dishes, she reflected. Odd and jumbled. Precarious. Then it happened. The crash came. A million sharp pieces lay at her feet. One false step, one missed cue and she'd be cut. Important choices. No choices. Life was messy. She sighed and started sweeping up the pieces. The glass clinked into the garbage and she tried to banish her scattered, torturous thoughts with it. Not now. Not today. There's no time. Calmly, she made a cup of tea.

    Loved yours! I definitely feel like that at times. And I do have my passport now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is great. It's me without the calm cuppa at the end of it!! ;)

      Delete
  13. That sounds so tempting. Not sure Hong Kong would be my final destination but taking off does sound so appealing right now. Although, I'd want to drag my family with me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot deny I have never had a daydream of this nature after hearing my kids fight for the millionth time! Enjoy your holidays Lydia x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy the break ... I'm not much of a fiction writer but I love the concept of writing one that is exactly 100 words long. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooooooh, I love it! Mine would be New York.

    ReplyDelete
  17. And like that he left. Wife, 2 kids and the dog.

    As he backed his car down the drive the cloud he had been under all day lifted. He knew it would be tough for his wife and the kids didn't understand but this was something he just had to do.

    The house was now a small speck in the distance, his foot planted hard on the accelerator (he always fancied himself as a F1 driver). Now he was free to do whatever HE wanted for HIMSELF. Alone.

    The chirp of his phone bought him back to earth as the car alerted him to 1 New Message "Need bread too".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! Honk Kong? What a random choice of runaway location! It's far away I suppose! Thank you for linking up to #KCACOLS we hope you come back again on Sunday xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! I do often think about just having a little runaway but perhaps not quite as far as Hong Kong! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting to have Honk Honk for a runaway! I have never been there but I would love to! Thanks for sharing this at #KCACOLS, :-) x

    ReplyDelete