Follow by email:

Monday, 15 August 2016

You can't stop my shine, not today.

In my travels around the blogs lately, there's been a lot on depression and feelings of inadequacy. I have cut and pasted this response to a number of people in the last week alone.

Only "YOU think that. The mean little voice in your head thinks that. Spend today telling it to shut the %&*# up. Every single time you think something about yourself that you would NEVER say about someone else, stop and tell your brain to shut up. No one should have to listen to that, and neither should you."

I went to a talk a few years ago on depression and they talked about your need to be the keeper of your thoughts (that you don't need to believe everything you think).

' Your mind isn't your best friend. You need to tell your mind that it's wrong...People believe instantly what their mind tells them, but you need to start to challenge the negative thoughts.' 

Amy Poehler has a brilliant bit on her book with this - she's not talking about depression, just that insecurity thinking we get. Unfortunately my copy of Yes, Please by Amy Poehler  is packed up for the renovations, but if you are struggling a little with a nagging voice of insecurity, then get yourself a copy as she nails it. Put the voice in a box and lock it away to muffle it, or at least occasionally say 'Sorry, I don't have time for you today, I want to enjoy this!'

Which brings me to an anthem. I stumbled across this song by Xp, and while he's talking about the external negativity that gets thrown our way, I think it is equally applicable to the mean little voice that tries to ruin everything we do and fills us with doubt and erodes our confidence.

"They hate to see you smile, have a good time
...As soon as I step outside I can feel the hate..
Look at how they mess with ya mind"


The thoughts can tarnish everything we do. They can ruin a lovely experience and steal all our enjoyment. However, we don't have to let it. We shouldn't even listen to it. We will probably need to battle these thoughts for awhile, but we can stand up for ourselves. We can hold our head up and say:

"Today we ain't taking suggestions... I'm on my way,.. no time to waste...
I'm really feeling myself today
...You can't bring me down, not today! No, not today!
...you can't stop my shine, Not today."

Maybe when the nagging doubts set in, when the inner critic raises it's voice to fill our ears, that's when we need to sing the anthem out loud to drown the negative thoughts out. No, you can't stop my shine, not today!

Maybe it really is as simple as that.



Check out more of Xp itunes or http://xpmusic.rocks/

Linking with #KCACOLS and #OpenSlather

23 comments:

  1. I love that "not today." I'm going to add Amy's book to my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that: "I haven't got time for you today".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often say "not today" tot he voice inside my head. I also have found myself saying lately "nope that is not how this story goes...or....nope that is not how this story will end" and it is enough to create a shift - a shift away from the negativity and I can keep going. So important for us to be aware that we can and we should have this inner dialogue xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not today. Such simple words to get you past it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must get that book. I hear you re: doubts. They are so damaging!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great mantra right there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such great advice! It's true we can be overly hard on ourselves sometimes, when we would never be that critical about others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great advice. I often have to tell the voices in my head to shut up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I need to get Amy Poehler's book too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great advice! I think a lot of people could do with reading this! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful message. We need more blogs like this that encourages positive thinking #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I had some very dark thoughts and felt myself spiralling down when my first son was a baby, I found the only way I could feel better was by challenging that voice inside my head. So it really worked for me. I hope your post can help people who are feeling low at the moment xx #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shine on lady! Love the positivity. Thanks for sharing #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, Please was - and still is - a huge source of inspiration for me. I like the idea of shutting up the negative portion of our brain. Sometimes it's a little louder than I like but it takes practise to hush it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. POWERFUL two words. People digging themselves into the depression need to remember this a lot. I am glad I never felt that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That voice! I am getting so much better at shutting it up as I get older. I wish I knew myself better, when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is that saying about us being our own worst enemies? Learning to control thoughts and saying no to yourself is a hard one though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I first started studying mindfulness, one of the first things we learned was that thoughts were just things that came and went. They weren't us. If they weren't useful, I learnt to let them go. Of course, I can't do that all the time, but I try ... I like your version though. It's a bit sassier!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Separating from thoughts and realising they can be challenged has been critical in my own journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Amy Poelher's book. It is one of my all time favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm getting better at telling that little voice to eff off but that voice still creeps in every so often. I'll have a look at the Amy Pohler book. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've seen that book mentioned a few times recently, I think it's time to get a copy! I do like this idea of saying 'not today' to the negative thoughts, simple but powerful! x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete