Monday 27 March 2017

Dancing is like dreaming with your feet! ~Constanze

You'll remember I got a Groupon to a dance studio - and so off I trotted to the contempory and hiphop classes. I discovered I was a good 25 years older than everyone (so that's great for your self esteem) and that everyone else could actually dance (because I went to classes that suited me time wise, not beginner classes).
The alarm bell went during the first warm up when everyone started doing the splits. As you do.
However, not one to worry about such things as competency, I just did my best. It was a lot of fun and mildly hilarious. 
The teachers were lovely and never once made me feel I should leave in shame. 
I did go to a beginner class once, and I have to say, while I was better at it, I sort of preferred the more advanced classes as the actual dances were more fun.
The only bit I did get nervous about, was at the end of the class, everyone would set up there cameras on little tripods to film themselves, which means there's a good chance I'm in the background doing my weird, edited to my ability moves....I'm waiting for the meme to appear any day now....
I really liked it, and the warm ups were enough exercise on their own, especially in the 90 minute classes. However, in a month, I only managed to get to 5 classes, so I think I'll move onto the next experiment...perhaps Bollywood dancing?

What did I learn? When you're old, you just don't care. I'd look at what I was meant to be doing in stretches etc and think 'oh, I'll just do this instead'. If I mucked up a move, I'd just laugh and go to the next bit I knew. I didn't feel too embarrassed or self conscious (just old, which is a bit depressing but a fact of life, so what are you going to do?) Isn't it a shame that when you're young, you're such a mess of self confidence. Imagine how happy your teen years would be if you had that blessing of old age?
My memory struggles with remembering the steps...but dancing is probably a good recall training exercise.

And so, moving on, I'm back on the 'trying new things groove', so stay tuned for more Torschlusspanik adventures. 

Torshlusspanik List:


1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving
6. Play Assassins Creed
7. Jetpacking (check)
8. The Color Run (check)
9. Invent something
10. Cooking Masterclass (check)
11. Master a Masterclass (check)
12. Perform a rap song (check)
13. Trampoline adventure (check)
14. BMX Riding (check)
15. Do a cart wheel (check)
16. Ride an Electric Bike (check)
17. Astonish Myself
18. Write a book.
19. Participate in a distance event (check)
20. Climb Sydney Tower (check)
21. Dance in a dance class (check)

Linking with #KCACOLS (for those than need the Torschlusspanik list explained, see here.)

13 comments:

  1. I love number 17! And good on you for having a go and enjoying yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! Look at all the things you've ticked off the list. You're a braver woman than I, and not just because I have two left feet. My dancing is so bad, I won't dance in the kitchen, let alone in public! I definitely think you should do Bollywood next :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you throw yourself into everything!!! I've had a good little chuckle picturing you rock out(Elaine from Seinfeld-esque) behind the pros. Although, I'm sure you're a lot better than you think you are. I would love to try contemporary. Which did you like better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told I dance like Elaine (but I love her so I'm ok with that!). Contemporary is easier but hip hop is more fun...

      Delete
  4. We've been pushing ourselves and trying new things this year, and loving it. We've tried a high ropes course and have recently started crossfit. It's all about pushing our boundaries :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to try dancing again. I did belly dancing for a while it was such a great laugh. Why should the youngsters get all the performing and learning new things fun?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you for sticking with it! Hip hop dance is a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good on you for sticking at it. I think I prove your theory because I would have slunk out in embarrassment as soon as I saw the splits going on lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a brilliant thing to do and I love your list. Please can you post the rap song on your blog? Pen x #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had fun! I havent danced in a class since school! I would love to do the colour run! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, well done. Glad you had fun. Can't wait to see what you check off your list next. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your attitude. The closest I have even gotten to a dance class is a zumba class on my own and that was hysterical and mortifying in equal terms! #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Zumba so badly that the instructor started to laugh at me...

      Delete