
I read Hooked because I liked the cover. I enjoyed it - it's quite nasty and funny, but it is a little too long and I felt the ending was a bit soft. I then read Butter as friends had been talking about it, and I realised it was the same author.
The concept is really interesting, and the ideas, that food is made to show love, but for women, it's restriction and a problem etc. Again nasty people, lonely people but a more interesting imagery thread than Hooked. That said, I think I liked Hooked better - more gritty and laugh out loud humour.
I liked Butter more than my friends did, but again, it's too long. I think both books would benefit with more concise storytelling. But it's a best seller so what do I know?
This is a short story and really lovely - powerful and impactful. I thought it was excellent. Dua Lipa's book club discussion about it with Claire Keegan is here.
This is our book club book. I have to say there's nothing wrong with it, just not for me. Very light and easy to read. Obviously about ageing...and people...It's written by a Australian Doctor who works in the sector and so there's a lot of what good aged care can do to allow elderly people to thrive in a new stage of life that can be so difficult to adjust to. It's sweet.
I liked Butter but there were members of my book club who had really strong opinions against it! I intend to read Hooked at some point!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week!
I've heard both good and bad about Butter. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it and the other book written by the same author!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read Hooked but I really liked Butter, we read it for a book club. I think the Japanese really like there food. The book was based on a real life murder case, The Konkatsu Killer. Since reading butter I have always put butter on my rice, it's so nice. I only used butter before when making egg fried rice, but now I can just eat a bowl of sticky rice with butter, yum. I kind of like books that incorporate food, maybe not for murder, but I don't mind it when the narrative is food based, which is probably why I liked it more.
ReplyDeleteI might have a look at getting the Claire Keegan book cheap (or free) but I'm really intrigued by the Escape from Woodlands Nursing Home. In my case I'd like to escape to a nursing home, lol.
Gosh, I've never heard of any of these.
ReplyDelete