One of the kids is off to a party that involves dressing up and watching The Rocky Horror Picture Show at the cinema before kicking on. I LOVED this movie as a teen (and Shock Treatment). I used to go and watch it all the time at that kooky little cinema on George Street - people threw confetti and toast at the right times and yelled things out at other times. I've had this 1979 book since the early 80's and loved it. A friend and I even wrote a parody called Stony Terror. It is apparently the birthday person's favourite film, so I am giving my beloved book to as part of the gift, which was a little hard to tell you the truth but it's just been sitting in a box in the roof for decades....so better it receive some love again. I did have fun flicking through the pages though. As I write this, the news flashed up on my phone that Tim Curry passed away, so that's a little sad. He always seemed so positive after such a terrible last decade with his health. Vale.

WATCHED We saw 2 comedians this month - Bobby Lee and Kitty Flanagan for much needed laughs. It was interesting to see 2 comedians more or less the same age but playing to different audience. Bobby Lee's was predominately 20-30 year olds and Kitty's was middle aged and up. Both funny but it was interesting that Kitty's audience aged with her, and Bobby found new markets. I was at Kitty's first gig at the Harold Park Hotel when they did comedy nights and she was as funny then as she is now. I discovered Bobby Lee when breast feeding one on the babies in the middle of the night on MADTV about 25 years ago, so I was surprised when they did the audience cheer by age and there were hardly anyone in the 50's and 60's. I said to a friend 'he must do a podcast now or something' and they looked at me like I was a nut and said 'Why did you go? How do you even know him if you didn't know that?'
Kitty talked about Pollyanna and I remember this from the Little Golden Book version and the telling in the Childcraft series - I don't remember the Glad Game so much but the excitement of the rainbows on the wall - and I only just now wonder if that's why I get so excited by them?
HEARD At FODI I heard Michael Pembroke speak. He raised the advice that we should get our news from more than one source - Overseas sources, so we hear different points of views on the telling of the story. He pointed out that the West is just 12% of the countries in the world, and the other 88% view the world differently (or we think differently to them). So the spin on the news we get differs. I started doing this about 8 years ago. Having always tried to read local newspapers when I travel, I've found it interesting to see countries and cities from a more local mindset. I get the news from Singapore and Malta, two random and more cheery views on the world. Obviously anything in English would have a Western bent, though it's fascinating to see the different reactions to news. He is very smart, and I will read one of his books as he's quite prolific in non fiction, global politics, war and history. I just wish he'd been able to speak more at the talk, it got rather side tracked which was a little disappointing.
MY TOP THREE MOMENTS FROM THE MONTH GONE BY The is good news on the dog front, she is improving on the medicine and we wait to see about the operation. Mum is a little better but not out of the woods just yet. So I guess those are the top moments, but for activities, I had a wonderful time at darts (Flight Club) with friends. It was such a great afternoon and I could have played for much longer. Keen to take the fam there now that everyone is 18! A great time with friends at Sing it! and a last mad dance to ELINA at Lazy Thinking before it closed.
Linking with













When you wrote about the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I immediately thought of Tim Curry 😥... I saw the film for the first time when I was 17 because my boyfriend at the time insisted on taking me – and at first I thought: What on earth is this crap? But when the "Sweet Transvestite" made his big entrance, I was hooked!
ReplyDeleteI hope your mother and your dog continue to improve health-wise!
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/08/reisebericht-2025-hope-manchmal-ist.html
PS: Beautiful murals!