Sunday, 4 October 2026

October Reading

 It's a long weekend - I've been reading in the sunshine which is lovely...just about to watch the F1 as I'm not an NRL person. But will rush these through....


I have not really got into the other Matt Haig book I read - but I did enjoy this. A friend put it up so I thought I'd give it a go. I listened on Borrowbox. It is the second book set in Ibiza that has environmental themes, and having just been there, I could really flesh it all out. I thought it captured the environment and the little details well - my favourite bit was the taxi drivers being tour guides, as I did find that to be the case. They were lovely. It's a sort of mystical realism mystery. With a bit of finding your way, finding your way back after loss and all the usual Haig themes.

(Review for The Comfort Book here)


I was so delighted to get this from the library that I tweeted this and started immediately.


I listened to this on Borrowbox as well, read by the author. I'm a huge fan, and as I said, I excitedly started it, only to be devastated when he announced it was his last book. As always, he's smart, funny and engaging. Even on this topic. I think as a book I liked Nothing to be Frightened Of more...but I still like this one. I just really don't want it to be his last...You really can't go wrong with any of his work. Not any I've read, at least. This as a tale within a tale, so there's something for those who are new to Barnes. I loved the discussion on memory, and of course on Proust. 





28 minutes from the first tweet to the next....I listened to the book non stop, in part hoping he would say 'it's not really my last book' but he didn't.




I also followed up with this interview.

(My Review for The Noise of Time is here  & The Man in the Red Coat here)

I am getting rid of books to feed the street library and ebay, to rehome them. I got this book because I like John Marsden (Tomorrow When the War Began and many other titles) and I liked the format - bullet points with a 1 page explanation on each point. So while I wasn't a single parent, I figured raising boys was raising boys. 

Anyway, I reread it out of curiosity before putting it out. I liked it still - only 2 points have maybe dated a little. I did do most of it, whether from the book or innately I don't know.

This H+ was in a street library on my dog walk so I grabbed it, read it and then put it out in mine. It's a little book on happiness and mental health, sort of, dressed as way of living. The first half, I thought 'this is just existentialism dressed up without the depressing part'. Your actions are what matter, and doing good actions are what add up. Helping others and so on, will make you feel better. However, towards the end, about fines and sending money to the headquarters, I couldn't tell if he was joking or a bit kooky. A lot of it is common sense I think, but it was an interesting read until the end.


This was in the library, a little board book with numbers, colours and even fuzzy tactile and shiny dots. Just had to include it as I love her work. Even on this level....
This is part of my AI and chatbot obsession, which prompted these posts on companion bots and dating. This book makes the interesting point that tech companies are owning or storing your data and using your therapy chats or companion chats to train other AI. And more.  She tries not to be judgemental, having used it for a sounding board in her grief, so she understands it. I also liked that a lot of the people found real life love in the reddit groups for people with companion bots - that was an unexpected consequence to me but I like the symmetry of it. 







I said awhile back that I was going to read more poetry, and I am failing at that. I did read the little poem that came in the Lush bath bombs. That's lovely.


And I did finally start The Odyssey. For everyone that complained about the movie, I can say the movie is the only thing that makes me understand it and keep going. It's not that it's hard, it's just not grabbing me. I've only read book one so will keep going a bit more, but I doubt I will make it to the end. One blogger said it was her favourite poem and a cousin is MAD for it, so I am bearing that in mind and will persist.






I did get this from the library - we have a half booked trip but due to all the illness and other problems at the moment, I'm not sure we'll go. Have another month to make the call. However, will read a bit just incase we go....



3 comments:

  1. I’m sorry one of your favorite authors is retiring. I’ll be checking out Matt Haig. A story that takes place on Ibiza sounds very cool. I hope the illnesses resolve and you can still go on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see the movie the odyssey, but I have no desire to read the book. I had to read the Illiad for college, and that was enough ancient lit for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Deb Nance at Readerbuzz) I looked up Julian Barnes and I saw that I'd rated his book, The Sense of an Ending, five stars. I wonder why I haven't read anything else. I found a copy of the Magic Treehouse author's book about The Odyssey on the shelves of my library book sale, so I might try that. I do remember loving The Odyssey. And Yayoi Kusama...I need to find out more.

    ReplyDelete