Wednesday 20 September 2023

What's on your bookshelf - September

Really slow on the reading front this month. Thought I would read a book on the plane but didn't even open it!

I read Page Boy because a number of friends had told me they loved it and I love the Umbrella Academy (tho haven't watched the latest seasons so no spoilers please). However, I found this book incredibly sad and upsetting, not for the trans journey or homophobia he experienced (though please can we stop being so horrible to the LBGT community) but for the abusive and predatory Hollywood bits. It just seemed very awful and so damaging. I want to say it's a must read, because I think Elliot Page has been incredibly brave but to be honest, even if you're a big fan, it's a very depressing book (or I'm overly sensitive, I don't know. I am wondering about my friends who said it was great??!!). Maybe I'm just naive...




I just finished Yellowface and LOVED it. The narrator is so awful, it's funny. It did make me think of the American Dirt pile on and pre internet, Helen Demidenko. As a writer I think a bit about what I'm 'allowed' to write in good faith, and what damage my lack of authenticity might do, no matter how well meaning. Fabulous book, for those with a dark humour. I read it in about 2 days, which is rare for me. Deliciously wicked.







Almost finished The Man in the Rad Coat for book club. I love Julian Barnes but I'm finding this one a bit dense. It has some wonderful facts in there and an interesting comparative look at French/English social history (and medical history). So I am enjoying it, just finding it hard to process a bit. Not sure if I would recommend.


Linking with #SeniorSalonPitstop #FriendshipFriday #AnythingGoes #MonthlyBookworms  #WOYBS #WeekendCoffeeShare 


My Random Musings
esmesalon senior salon pitstop

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I find some book about Hollywood and child/young adult actors in particular to be so heartbreaking to read! I always want to think it can't be that bad and then I read another book that just reinforces that it really can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed Yellowface. I enjoyed it too and had the same thoughts about American Dirt! Page Boy does sound like a very emotional read.
    Popping over from Book Worms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I am intrigued by Elliot Page's memoir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big fan of his, no issue with transpeople - I just found it such a downer. It made me really sad. It's a difficult read (however I should be saying buy it so he sells a lot of copies...)

      Delete
    2. Just to be clear, the trans stuff isn't sad, it's the other stuff I found really hard going.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm really interested in the Elliot Page book, I have a non-binary child myself who has trans friends and I worry so much for her future. I don't know if I'm strong enough at the moment but it's go on my tbr pile. I already have Yellow Face on my TBR pile already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I'd steer clear. However, if you haven't read it already, Ivan Coyote wrote a book called Tom Boy Survival Guide that's brilliant. Coyote came out for the festival of Sydney one year with a musical show and it was so brilliant. Now if they come to the writers festival, I go to all their shows (tho there was a really offensive audience question that then prompted Coyote to write about it so I'm guessing we are not top of their travel list)

      Delete
  5. Yellowface has been on my radar. Glad to see your positive review. Will give it a bump up on my Goodreads to-read list.

    ReplyDelete