Friday 22 September 2023

Tell Us about Legacy

 I don't think about legacy. I don't think much about the past either. I'm not fascinated by family trees. I am in the here and now. I also believe the people that you help don't owe you anything. It's not a reciprocal gesture, it's a pay it forward thing. You help when you have capacity to do so. So on legacy, I'm not that interested, I'm more about what can I do now. I don't need to be remembered but if I make someone else's day a little better, then it's a good day for me too.

 'Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth'. Muhammad Ali

This is not just about giving money or helping out - every decision we make especially when we vote is causing a myriad of impacts on the world. You don't get to say you're a good Christian but vote to cut welfare. You don't get to say you're charitable but vote to persecute a minority and so on. You don't vote for tax cuts without that money coming from some portfolio. And those decisions, for most of us are a greater legacy impacting the future generations than any of our own small actions and usually one that we aren't so proud of any more. Legacy is not just what we chose it to be, it is everything we do.

When I was in Singapore, I went to an exhibition called Change Drivers. One of the quotes that resonated with me was "We are the generation that will be know for the destruction of nature."  and the woman activist ranger talking about the 90% deforestation in Nigeria remarked on sustainability: "everything we do today will directly effect the people you love in your life." (It's at Art Science Museum if you are interested in seeing it, a collection of little films). I have been thinking about that a lot. Our legacy is actually the unintended damage we do to the planet.

“We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”  David Brower

One thing to note with legacy, and it was pointed out in They are all my children when he names Colonel Wahle as person who barely gets a mention in the history books but was the first decisive voice who actually understood what was going on. So legacy is rewritten to suit the audience. And like Ozymandias in the Shelley poem, perhaps there are better things to focus our attention and energy on.


I have mentioned many times the story of Aki Ra and the huge impact it had on me. So his legacy reaches much further than the demining in Cambodia. I still think of Sheik Umar Khan the doctor who worked with the ebola patients until he got the disease himself, isolating himself with the ill until he died. I learn from and admire the people who choose to do things I'm not sure I would. The people who inspire me to do more or be less selfless are the ones with the legacy that outlast them in my mind. It is the footnotes in history that often really are important, the ones that touch lives every day that matter.

So for me, it is the present that matters, but we need to be mindful that our actions now ripple way beyond our immediate circle, time and place.


There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew. Marshall McLuhan

This song makes me think of legacy. It was the end of a Graham Bond show I watched as a teen. It really stuck with me. I don't think this is the version but it was the only one I could find. 


Linking with #MondayMusicMovesMe just for the songs. #PictorialTuesday #SundayBest & #Inspirememonday (just for the pics) #TellUsAbout  #ThruMyLens




Another song that sums up our responsibility to the legacy of our actions (or lack of). Ask yourself, will there be weeds or wildflowers when you're done? 

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in. The prompt for October is Hometowns. Posts will be published on the 3rd Thursday of October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up! I will get something more eloquent together!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for joining us for Tell Us About Lydia, your take on it was very interesting and thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia - I too believe that what I do to help others is not something I expect back in return! I never help others with that in mind. It makes me feel good to help others and that is all I need. As far as legacy goes - I don't need to be remembered as a huge achiever or anything famous or fantastic. I just would like to be remembered fondly and have kind words and happy memories said about me at my funeral. Hopefully some of my art might be around for future generations to remember me by too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia - I think we leave a legacy regardless of whether we choose to or not - being a good human, caring for others without expectation of return, caring about our world, all those things become your legacy and I think that's a pretty good way to be remembered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a thought provoking post and some cracking quotes, I especially love the Muhammad Ali one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia what a great way to look at legacy - Our legacy is actually the unintended damage we do to the planet. I took my grandsons to the Planetarium this week and they had a show about Earth and Seasons and what happens if we tamper with them. We discussed it after and I believe it's important to bring social issues to our children or grandchildren and it's never too soon. Loved your post x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't do things for anyone with a view to 'payback'...but I also share my legacy and stories via my blog. I love to know my heritage and seek similarities and traits. I am now helping our youngest 3 granddaughters build a relationship with us as their grandparents that their siblings had when we lived in Sydney. I am often amazed at how little we (humans) do learn from the past but I know that I need to honour my past, to live in my present as best as I can and prepare for a future loosely... It was great to see link up your blog post this week at Denyse’s Words and Pics for #WWandPics. Thank you for being part of the community. Warm wishes and appreciation from Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all leave a legacy unless we don't know or interact with anyone. And maybe even if we don't know or interact with anyone - it may be a legacy only known to birds, insects, or trees but if there is a Mother Earth she (or it) knows. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to have taken this long to get by your blog for this post. I have a terrible friend to all my blogging buddies as I just haven't made the time to read posts. Or write many, for that matter. When I chose this theme or prompt, I was thinking not of a financial legacy or an inheritance we would leave behind. I was thinking of the things you mention so eloquently. The Ali quote is a jewel. I am afraid that beyond my family, I am not serving my community and I would like to find some way to remedy that. We ARE borrowing our world from our children...wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wholeheartedly concur, Lydia. The need is here and now and it's up to every one of us to do their bit immediately. Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Lydia,
    What a great post, I agree 100% with everything you have written. I like the Ali quote and I agree with the quote from the Change Driver exhibition. What we are doing now does effect the destruction of nature and the future of our children and grandchildren. Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete