Saturday 2 September 2023

“The image that concerns most people is the reflection they see in other people's minds.” ― Edward De Bono

I was lucky enough to see Postmodern Jukebox on Friday, having decided I couldn't afford to go, a friend ended up with a spare ticket she gifted me. I really enjoy their playful renditions of songs. Always a great show.  (The guy we saw singing Umbrella is here)

 

However this is about bodies and beauty standards, but mainly about confidence.

There were three magnificent female singers, changing into all sorts of fitted evening dresses. At one point, I thought "I would never wear that on my body but they look great, so maybe I should stop caring about the bumps in the 'wrong' places" We are women, this is what women look like in real life. And these women looked beautiful.

So, last night I decided to wear a new fancy figure hugging dress that I got online for $49 but haven't had a chance to wear because it's quite OTT. One of the menopausal delights is my tummy seems to go up and down on a daily basis - some days I look pregnant, some days it's flattish. If I'm puffed up, I usually change into a 'fat' dress. Last night I didn't. I thought of those 3 ladies with different figures who looked beautiful in the same dress and decided I would just enjoy my dress. 

And I did. 

I honestly didn't think about it again, how it was showing my tummy or how big my butt must have looked in it.

“For the first time maybe ever, it didn't matter if I looked beautiful or not. I felt it.”
― Kiera Cass, Happily Ever After



At the Marilyn exhibition there is this quote, and it's something I'm really going to work on. Except I want to have courage to be loyal to the body I have that continues to allow me to have fun and make my way in the world.


Maybe confidence is where beauty lies, and it exudes over our face and body, adding a sheen just like make up?






I know he hates it but the whole world fell in love with Tom Holland for this, and I'm pretty sure it's because he commited to it 100% (he didn't laugh or camp it up) and he got the girl so big win for him. So many people say "I don't know why I love this so much" but I think it's not his look or dancing but his confidence that mesmerised everyone.


Will Ferrell told John C. Reilly that it didn't matter how stupid the role was, as long as you commit 100% to it, the laughs will work. And he shows that time & again - we are always laughing with him, not at him.

'When you have confidence, you can have a lot of fun. And when you have fun, you can do amazing things'. Joe Namath

And here's to doing amazing things!


Linking with #ConfidentTwosday





17 comments:

  1. Interesting renditions, I do love the singin in the rain song from the movie with Debbie Reynolds and Gene Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is lovely
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/09/how-to-style-pink-peplum-dress-for-the-office.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone can look beautiful. I have witnessed this with my photography. Taking time to wear nice clothes, not necessarily new but clean and no wrinkles, not only makes you look good but feel good too. Also fixing hair, combing and maybe even styling it, adds a visual appealing appearance. The way a person carries themself is important too. Hold your head eye, look people in their eyes. This is part of being confident. All this things combined will not allow people to focus on the negative. Besides we are our worst critic.
    I am so glad to have read you decided to go ahead and wear that dress!
    Take care and best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I want to see you owning that new dress! So glad you stepped out confidently and got so much pleasure from wearing it. I know I can fall into the same trap (along with "am I too old to wear this?") but I'm also learning that if it feels good to wear then I'll wear it and who cares what anyone else thinks. There are some truly awful outfits being worn confidently by others, so my little excursions on the fashion front are very minor in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very tough on myself appearance wise and want to STOP but it's hard being in that mindset. Let's do this together!! I always appreciate your linking up to #WWandPics this week and thanks for sharing your post. I hope to see you next Wednesday too. Warm wishes, Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it's something we have wired in from birth (and I went to a girls school so I think that magnifies it) but really, it's not a good thing at all....

      Delete
  6. Love both videos, but I would have love to see you in that dress. Just saying. Sounds so fun. Good for you.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Lydia. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were great videos. Nostalgia mixed with a modern twist. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia,

    This could be a Battle of the Bands of sorts. I've seen Casey Abrahams vintage style rendition of "Umbrella" which is quite unique. Tom Holland sure does make an ugly woman but he cracked me up. lol I hope he won't be too disappointed that he's not nearly as sexy as Rihanna. :) I took care of removing the wrong entry, my dear. Thanks for joining the 4M party and have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was familiar with the Tom Holland video, but the other video … wow. Very different and quite charming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that lip sync battle was awesome! I really enjoyed & it really made me laugh.. great job!!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May I say I HATE GOOGLE it took 3 browsers and about 8 tries to comment on this post but I just had to say that Tom Holland cover of Rihanna's song was one of the best cover videos I have ever seen. Postmodern Jukebox was good, too - I've seen several others of their videos. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I prefer this man's version of Umbrella to Rihanna's which I can't stand. He is quite inventive. I am not into that lipsynch battle but he shows how inventive he is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great post from beginning to end - loved Umbrella!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and welcome reminder to try and re-find some of the self confidence I used to be known for

    ReplyDelete