Tuesday, 11 August 2026

Steal a moment of happiness while you can

My mum is in and out of hospital at the moment - I've been having to stay with her or spend an hour driving to the hospital at all hours, and then an hour back. It's been draining, added to the guilt of not being around enough for my youngest who is in the middle of the HSC trials (second final exams). It's disruptive. I'm cancelling plans and giving away tickets, missing events with friends I'd been looking forward to.

During a stay at her place when she was sent home from hospital, I told mum I was going for a quick walk while the sun was still out.

It felt so good getting my cardio up, stretching my limbs while being warmed by the late afternoon sun.

I looked on google maps and headed to the bush. Alas, I couldn't find a safe way down to a track, so I just got to look at the little creek from above. I felt I couldn't risk falling when she thought I was just going for a walk around the block!

The bird noises, the insects, the running water and the dappled light made me feel a million miles away for a moment. I felt lucky. I felt happy (instead of exhausted and sorry for myself and guilty).

Just for a moment and then it was time to head back. Briefly transformed, but re-energised to make the most of it. For her, and for me.

Sunshine is a welcome thing. It brings a lot of brightness." - Jimmie Davis

Linking with #WordlessWednesday #TalkaboutitTuesday #HappyNow and #HappyTuesday #WordlessWednesday


This song was playing as I walked into the bush. It seems a perfectly timed soundtrack for that stolen moment of peace! 

6 comments:

  1. Prayers for your mom. It's stressful when our parents get older. I so remember.

    You de-stressed being out and about in nature. Wonderful.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Lydia. Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Espero que tú mamá se recupere del todo. También he tenido un año duro de entradas y salidas del hospital. Entiendo que te sintieras revitalizada porque el cuidador acaba agotado. Un abrazo para ambas desde España

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a difficult time when our parents are not well and in and out of hospital. or in hospital for an extended stay - I know - as I went through it about 12 years ago - I can't believe it is now 12 years ago. You do what you can, and hope that is enough. While trying to snatch a few moments for self and your own fmaily. As I told a friend last year, this too will end. Take care of you. And hug your mother while you can. Thankyou for stoppping by my blog this week. I am glad my wildflowers brought you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello
    Sending prayers and well wishes for your Mom! Taking a walk in a forest can relieve your stress. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been doing the same thing. I am so sorry to hear about your mom though. Sending prayers and well wishes for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. More prayers for your mom.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous day and rest of the week, Lydia. ♥

    ReplyDelete