Wednesday, 12 August 2026

A day in the life...

The last few weeks I've had to drop everything and race across town to look after my mum (often staying overnight at her place or long days/nights in the hospital). So my days have lost all their routine.

The car trip is two and a half hours with traffic round trip, so the only upside is I am getting through my far too long book club book on audible. 

I am cancelling plans and getting more and more stressed about falling behind at work. I don't feel I'll see friends for a long while, and am missing quality time with my patient husband and kids. 

My youngest is in the middle of her HSC trials and her 18th is next week. I am feeling the weight of guilt that I am letting her down, and the stress of how to try and get her party organised. I'm determined not to cancel it, though I have to admit I've probably destroyed her chances of good marks these exams and that is eating at me.

I know it has to be done, but I am feeling stressed, physically exhausted and mentally overwhelmed. I am hoping my sister can start to help out a little, though Mum seems to feel it's easier for me, even though I live further away and have dependants. I guess I have a good game face.

I am struggling because I'm not doing right by anyone else. I feel I'm carrying a weight of things to come, while tripping over all the balls I've dropped in my life.



However, while the hospital care is not ideal (even private doesn't seem to get results, they just want to be get you temporarily well enough to send home - so you return in the middle of the night two days later), I am trying to see joy in the small things when I can. The walk from the car to the hospital gets me out in the warm sun, and the leafy suburb brought the joys of huge cockatoos and the delight of a rabbit. I also saw my first cherry blossom of the season! I managed a quick 3km walk in the setting sun, so while I'm not been getting exercise, I'm trying to get movement when I can, and it can seem even more precious.

I am currently waiting to see if I got booked for speeding in a roadworks zone - so every time the mail comes and there's no ticket (and more importantly, all my points are intact!), I feel a wave of relief & there is unbelievable joy in that...In my defence is was 2.30 am when I drove back from emergency and I drove 40km all the way through the road work to the lead up to the Harbour Bridge but I was sure I saw a sign that said 70km at the start of the bridge so started to speed up when on the bridge. Because I was tired I was driving carefully but I think I was going 55-60km when I saw the flashing 40km lights and slowed down. It was then that I noticed the cop car in my review window.

This morning, on the way home from dropping my kiddo at an exam, my ABC full story podcast mentioned A Sandwich Generation podcast and while I couldn't find the one they said, I discovered there are a lot of them. I listened to this one and it's already made me feel better because she touches on the guilt of not being present for your children and the invisible mental load. I will add more good ones here as I listen to them. This one has advice including 'you only need to be the parent you want to be 50% of the time, and cut yourself some slack'. I don't know if I'll really believe that but it was good to hear.

Linking with #AwwMondays
 #SaturdayCritters #GardenAffair #FloralFridayFoto #TellUsAbout 
 #MuralMondays #MondayMusicMovesYou












It would be remiss to end without mentioning this song. I used to really love it as a kid. Now it seems really bleak and dark. It does however. feel remarkably current with the way the news is now voyeuristically presented online, and the way our feeds can show suffering and death as if it's nothing.


I have to say, this made me laugh - in a 'I feel ya!' vibe. Sometimes the small joys are really small!

Linking this last pic with #MuralMondays

19 comments:

  1. i am thinking of you and sending you a vertual hug. I know what this time is like. Take a few moments when you can for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so difficult to juggle all those responsibilities. I hope your sister will start helping out, so you can share this and ease the load a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia, this is a hard time for you. I watched the Sandwich generation show on ABC last week and it was very real, all the various emotions and feelings of failing everyone, let alone yourself. Take care and keep enjoying those small wins, hope everything gets sorted soon for you, it's not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you're going through all this, at the moment. It can't be easy but you must try not to feel guilty for anything, when you are doing everything physically possible to help your poor mum. Sending big hugs your way xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there. Just take it one day at a time. Outsource or delegate what you can. It's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! Yes, sometimes everything really does come together at once. We've been experiencing that for months this year and are noticing how it drains our energy. It creates the feeling of constantly struggling, of never being able to meet certain demands, and of neglecting people here and there who don't deserve it. It's great that you're also focusing on doing nice things for yourself (we do the same!) and letting yourself be told that you can be kinder to yourself and don't have to demand 100% from yourself. Nobody can!
    Hugs & all the best from Austria 🤗
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/08/sommerliche-tage-2026-ein-bunter.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    You are being a wonderful daughter! Love the Cockatoo and the bunny. I hope you get some more time for yourself too. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bon courage à travers ces épreuves. Je pense bien à toi

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a difficult season for you. I’m glad you can find some encouragement in podcasts - sometimes hearing you’re not alone really helps. Your mother is lucky to have you {hugs}.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in Australia with parents in Portugal, my middle sister and brother in law have in the last few years done a lot for my parents, which I'm thankful for. But now that my Dad had a stroke I had to come and be here for my Mom. It's not easy when you still have younger children which is not my case. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, you are carrying SO much right now. ❤️ Please give yourself some grace — you are not “doing wrong by everyone,” you are doing your absolute best while trying to be there for your mum, your kids, your husband, your work, and everyone else who needs a piece of you. That is an enormous load for anyone to carry.

    And I love that, even in the middle of all that exhaustion and overwhelm, you're noticing those tiny moments of joy — the cockatoos, the rabbit, the cherry blossoms, a sunset walk, and yes… the sheer exhilaration of another day without a speeding ticket! 😂 Sometimes those tiny things really are what keep us going.

    I hope someone is able to step in and take some of the weight off your shoulders, because you shouldn't have to be the one who can “handle it” simply because you have a good game face. Sending you a huge hug and a reminder that you're allowed to be tired, overwhelmed, imperfect, and still be doing a wonderful job. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are coping well, despite your fears. I hope your sister steps up to the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lydia,
    I hope life calms down for you and your family. The cockatoo photos are lovely, a beautiful bird. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.
    Take care, have a wonderful day and a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suspect lots of people identify with that mural! I hope your sister does her fair share. Does she need a phone call?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's happy to help - it's mum who is not wanting to ask her. Because she has to bring her tiny dog if she stays or because she has things on (Meanwhile I have things on that I've just cancelled!!) Mum is not making it easy....

      Delete
  15. It's been years since I last heard that Beatles song, but it is a delight to the ears. Thanks for brining to my attention today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flowers are most beautiful. I love pink. My favorite color.

    It's hard to have parents that are ill and you're the only one taking care of business. Been there done that. Make sure you talk to your family about what you're doing. Talk to your sister to help you a day here and there. You need to spend time with your family too. I feel for you.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week. Healing hugs, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sending you a hug. Caregiving is hard; and being a member of the sandwich generation is harder. I know about caregiving from experience, and it's terrible when employers don't give their employees the support they need. Did I mention how much I love A Day in the Life? The first time I heard it, when it came out, I was absolutely blown away. I had never heard anything like it. I still love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, sweet friend, I am so sorry. Hoping you and your sister can figure out a routine that will enable you to get your life back to some sense of normalcy. Maybe you could work out a schedule? My brother lived in the same town with our parents so the brunt of caring for them daily fell on him. But my sister and I flew in from across country as often as we could to give him a break or when he had to travel for work. I hope and pray you get things figured out so that life becomes more than a few glimpses of pleasure. Big hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete