Monday 16 October 2017

Remedy

I was a little down in the dumps today - no reason, just general malaise and a bit of wear and tear. I have talked many times (here, here and it all started here) about my awe of the work of the Landmine Museum and School in Siem Reap When I got back from our trip to Siem Reap, I set about finding a way to help them. I rang airlines to see if I could pay an attendant to carry books over for me. I tried to see if I could get book depository to post there for me. A friend's daughter was going to go there on a school trip but then it fell through in the last minute. Fast forward almost three years later and a friend is going for work. She has offered to take the bag of donations over for me (please note she will pack the bag herself and I've purchased a new bag that can be left with the charity.) I have rung the embassy who has assured me it is fine to bring in a suitcase of donations/gifts for the charity as long as I have a copy of the correspondence with the charity. Given the items are pencils and toothpaste, we will be well under the value limit for importing gifts anyway.

Which brings me back to my mood. Feeling a little fragile, I decided I would go out and purchase the bag she will take over. I then came home and packed it with the items already donated by friends. It made me feel so good. My mood has shot back up and currently is slightly elated. You see, now that I've managed to fulfill this small dream, three years in the making, I've decided to aim higher. On their wishlist page, where they have a link to donate  via paypal for simple things like hair brushes and laundry detergent, they also have this: IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A MAJOR DONATION TO HELP US BUY A NEW TRUCK TO TRANSPORT THE KIDS, CONTACT US DIRECTLY AND WE EXCHANGE DETAILS.


So I've decided I'm going to get them a truck. I have no idea how, as of yet, but it's a worthwhile project. They say helping others makes you feel good. I have to say even just the idea of helping others seems to lift your spirits.

So I'm adding it to the list. And if there is any big business that needs a tax write off or wants to help some fabulous kids and people in need of transportation, please contact the Landmine Museum and Relief Centre.

Torshlusspanik List:


1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving
6. Play Assassins Creed
7. Jetpacking (check)
8. The Color Run (check)
9. Invent something
10. Cooking Masterclass (check)
11. Master a Masterclass (check)
12. Perform a rap song (check)
13. Trampoline adventure (check)
14. BMX Riding (check)
15. Do a cart wheel (check)
16. Ride an Electric Bike (check)
17. Astonish Myself
18. Write a book.
19. Participate in a distance event (check)
20. Climb Sydney Tower (check)
21. Dance in a dance class (check)
22. Trust a stranger
23. Get a truck for the Landmine Museum and Relief Centre in Siem Reap

Linking with #KALCOLS & #MummyMondays #FortheloveofBLOG #StayClassyMama #OpenSlather

20 comments:

  1. This is great Lydia. Contributing to society in some way really is a wonderful mood booster. Imagine how you're going to feel when you manage to give them a truck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very cool list, and an amazing thing to do for others. Good luck, although I feel you wont need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, who knew it could be so hard to deliver a parcel?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right - it really does feel good to give back. What an amazing thing to put on your list. Talking of amazing, I'm so impressed at how many things you've ticked off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Lydia. What an amazing cause and a generous act. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so fabulous! Helping others is one of those really underrated things we can do that also helps ourselves, though no-one ever talks much about it.
    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great cause and you are doing amazing things for them #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to the Landmine Museum in Siem Reap it's amazing the work Aki Ra does! You are very generous and kind, I'm sure you will reach your target. #fortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful person your that say a lot about you. I wish you the best honey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's great to aim high and what a fab cause to be working towards. I wish you lots of luck with it #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely thing to do. Good luck with it. Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful of you! Wishing you luck with the truck project :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aaaw, you are a kind giving soul, with big dreams! It is so true the Ralph Waldo Emerson saying of "Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself" x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this amazing and good luck with it, you are one determined lady. And I’m so glad that packing the bag lifted your mood too. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah Lydia what a wonderful, life fulfilling thing you are doing. Huge well done to you. Loving your list too.

    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope having such a great plan has lifted you from the doldrums. Doing good things for others always makes me feel brighter. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely thing to do. I'm so glad completing your donation made you feel better and I wish you lots of luck in efforts to help get them a truck. It sounds like a very deserving cause. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love such a good ideas! helping other people especially kids it's really important. Awesome list:) Thanks for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete