Thursday 27 February 2014

Mardi Gras - Celebrate the Protest

I was listening to the radio this morning and they said it was the 35th anniversary of the festival (of Mardi Gras). It struck me as odd, that all these years later, the majority of Sydneysiders see it just as a festival - a fun, colourful parade to either participate in, go and watch, or just ignore. Realistically now, it encompasses 2 weeks of festivities, plays and films, fair day and much more.

As our current Government likes to bring everything down to cost, it has the added bonus of bringing in a huge amount of tourism bucks to boot.

I love that Sydney has taken to Mardi Gras in the manner it has. Now ATMs are festooned accordingly, and the streets are lined with banners. The turn out is huge, and the event is televised.

However, it needs to be remembered that it started, back in 1978 as a civil rights march. Civil Rights. Do I need to join the obvious dots?

For all those celebrating, enjoying the parade or even those just making a buck from the increased tourism, can we think about it as a civil rights march again? Can we ask ourselves, why don't these people have the right to get married?

If we are on board with the festival of Mardi Gras, or making money out of Mardi Gras, why aren't we okay with Gay Marriage?

In 35 years we've come a long way in some respects, but last year, unfortunately, we also took a huge step backwards.

Will it really take another 35 years for us to change our tune and step with the times?

Linking up with Sunshine Sundays - on the topic "If Only..." as I'm not one for regrets, I can only say 'If only we lived in a fairer society...'

(Please note, I don't require you to agree with me but I will delete any comments I consider abusive towards myself, other commenters, the  LGBTQI community or Abbott and the Liberal Party).

13 comments:

  1. I had no idea that it started as a civil rights march. Well I have to agree - the government can't (shouldn't ?) be allowed to have it both ways - be happy about the $millions that are brought into Sydney but then deny them the right to get married. That is just wrong !
    Have the best weekend !
    Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me a prompt next week about Kiva. Flat chat today...but will do

      Delete
  2. Maybe our grandchildren's generation will be able to see this happen. Or hopefully sooner. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh I absolutely love the detailed costumes at the Mardi Gras! They are incredible! xxx Lucy from Bake Play Smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Lydia - it is hard to believe that equal rights don't exist, 35 years after the start of Mardi Gras - love is always equal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you and thank you for the reminder Lydia! It was a very sad day when that backwards step was taken last year. A day when we worry about the future for our children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems they are still marching for civil rights 35 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia, I can't, for the life of me, see how it affects anyone else, particularly the government, if two consenting adults are married!
    I don't think we have the right to call ourselves "the lucky country", when people are not allowed to legally express their love, just because of their sexuality.
    Let's hope we wake up soon, and limp into the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lydia, it is insane and unfair and does not make one iota of sense at all. I hope that we get to see the change in our life time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Lydia, you are right. Thanks so much for reminding us about the actual point of the Mardi Gras. I have never been around for it but I reckon it must be a spectacular occasion.
    Had I chosen to write a politically focussed post, I would have had a million "If Onlies". Thanks for linking in for #sunshinesundays! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. i did see the ATMS what the?? what an odd thing to dress up in the spirit of things lol.
    35yrs! i hope its not another 35years before people can marry whomever they love.
    Great reminder!
    Found you via Zanni's Sunshine Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Lydia, I had no idea how it all started. I certainly hope we see change soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for linking up! Appreciate it. Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete