Monday 5 February 2018

The Wednesday Club

While away, I read Kjell Westo's The Wednesday Club. The book is set in Helsinki in 1938, in the aftermath of the Finnish Civil War and rise of Hitler's expansionist policies. The Wednesday Club is a group who get together with the purpose "to contribute to the maintenance and exploration of political and cultural conversation in the Swedish language in the city of Helsinki".

I liked the idea of this so much, I've set up my own variation - obviously we're not speaking Swedish and we're not in Helsinki, but I've rallied a posse together to explore political and cultural events, and anything else that seems fun or interesting.

There's little limit on what people can decide to do. Each month someone will be the 'host'. The host gets to chose the activity or event, and pick the date. 

Our first expedition will be meeting at the Colour Fields Pop Up Bar at the MCA and then roaming through the gallery for their Twilight Thursdays, splitting into two groups - those that haven't seen Pip My Ocean will head there, and those that have will check out the main gallery.

I have to say, I'm quite excited to see how this unfolds over the course of the year. At least once a month I should do something I haven't done before, hopefully. 

Would you join a Wednesday Club? Do you already have this kind of circle? What would you suggest if you were 'host'?

Linking with #BookNook  #StayClassyMama & #Dreamteam

16 comments:

  1. I don't know what I would suggest as host but it sounds like SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran something similar last year in Perth, a mystery tour of sorts but it ended turning into more of a cocktail club. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like great fun and Sip My Ocean is a wonderful exhibit. I’d do a pub crawl 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love this!

    Ingrid
    http://www.fabulousandfunlife.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I wouldn't start as I would need other people to suggest ideas first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this book but it sounds interesting. I think politics can be a divisive subject, especially sadly here in the US right now, but if everyone keeps a level head and does good research it can be a valuable way to get different points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds rather interesting. Not sure what I would choose to do as a host, maybe a trip to the museum?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a fantastic idea fro a social event. I hope these get-togethers go well throughout the year!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this idea! A new art gallery has recently opened in my town, that would be my suggestion as host :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a fabulous idea! Have fun at the MCA (one of my favourite places to visit!)
    #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds a little like my mums garden club. Once a month a 'host' organises a garden tour. I haven't been this year as I work on a Friday. Lovely get together of like minded ladies, for morning tea and/or lunch, depending on how far flung the garden is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if I'm honest but it sounds like a fun thing to do. Thank you for sharing with #StayClassymama

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous idea Lydia I will definitely think about this for my area. The book sounds interesting as well. I'm glad you left a comment on my blog about The Wednesday Club as I came straight over to visit. Have a great day!
    Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, so far, so good! Nothing political tho...I wonder if that will happen at all? I forgot that was even part of it. HA!

      Delete