Tuesday 20 October 2020

After all, spinning is its own reward. There wouldn't be carousels if it weren't so. Adam Gopnik


 Or pottery wheels.

I tried an introduction to pottery class at Clay Sydney. It was 90 minutes of hands on creativity. Or just getting very dirty, as I found out.

It was easier than expected but my creations were fairly rubbish.

I did have fun, and laughed a lot comparing mine to others.

I will take home 2 pieces once finished. They are not great, but I did make them. I will add the pictures when I get them back in 4 weeks. I couldn't take photos there because I was covered in clay! Hot tip, don't come in your work clothes or forget your own apron like my friend did. (COVID rule you can't use theirs)

The lessons I took home from this were two fold:

1. I am not going to make a great potter, and I don't have the attention span nor patience to do so. That said, one friend loved it and made three very lovely pieces but she had done it before.

2. Like life, you can start fast but you need to slow down to finesse the shape and detail.

And so a new activity to the list completed!

Torshlusspanik List:


1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving
6. Play Assassins Creed
7. Jetpacking (check)
8. The Color Run (check)
9. Invent something
10. Cooking Masterclass (check)
11. Master a Masterclass (check)
12. Perform a rap song (check)
13. Trampoline adventure (check)
14. BMX Riding (check)
15. Do a cart wheel (check)
16. Ride an Electric Bike (check)
17. Astonish Myself
18. Write a book.
19. Participate in a distance event (check)
20. Climb Sydney Tower (check)
21. Dance in a dance class (check)
22. Trust a stranger
23. Get a truck for the Landmine Museum and Relief Centre in Siem Reap
24. Paint a picture
25. Go Rollerskating (check)
26. Do Chinese Square Dancing
27. Do some life drawing
28. Make something on a pottery wheel (check)

What's new with you this week?

Linking with #MakroTex (I was going to post the Christmas Wreath I made last week but went with this old post as it's more focused...)

Pieni Lintu - MakroTex challenge

13 comments:

  1. Maybe another art is your thing. My son Isaak switches his love for different arts all the time. There are two thoughts: You may just need more practice, or you gave it a shot and that was that. I think you feel the love if you get into something though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point of the list is to keep trying new things. And I am totally ok with not being good at something. It's the interest part that is tricky for me. That said, I would go back to the life drawing - even tho my drawings were terrible, I found the whole experience quite therapeutic.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on checking off another item on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fun of this is in trying something new. There's a class here on the coast that I want to book before Sarah moves away. As an aside, I'd never heard of a Torshlusspanik List before your post last week and yet this week I've read about it in a few places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that would've been so much fun. I must book myself in to try something like that. I would enjoy it very much. I look forward to seeing your finished pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I've been awol for a while - pesky study and stuff so missed your list but love the idea of it. I also love the idea of trying new things and not worrying about how you do. I tried a painting class a few years ago but we weren't given much direction so I mostly stood there with an empty page watching in awe as others painted things and then haphazardly painted all over my paper so it looked like a big blob!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done over 40 posts on it and I think I started this 6 years ago!!! Ha!! I did a paint class and had the reverse - they took too long to explain anything so I just jumped ahead. I haven't done the write up on that yet. Really should...

      Delete
  6. I really like that you're trying all these new things - the pottery sounded like fun and maybe the end results will be even better if you did it again like your friend did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I've missed spinning around on a carousel this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I entered furious fiction after learning about it here. Congratulations on your long list victory! I didn't place, but I posted my October entry on my writing blog. Over at Chorus of the Crows in my sidebar. Fun contest. I think I'll keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for the photos! Love the quote: "you can start fast but you need to slow down to finesse the shape and detail."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you to try something new! My patience wouldn't last to do pottery!

    ReplyDelete