Monday 15 February 2021

“One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

 I am going to have to go a little quiet to get three stories written in the next two weeks, but when I read this article, I felt I had to post on the #Lifethisweek's prompt of Explore. In it, Murakami talks of the importance of observation in the creative process and writing. I too have found this. After lockdown, I started going to comedy shows at Giant Dwarf and the comedians would run polls in the audience "Who's still a bit scared going out?", "Are we giving hugs yet? Raise your hands" (All bar one person was mildly horrified at the prospect!) and the most memorable, when the audience was very flat and lounging all over their seats (using the stage as a footrest) "Did you literally use all the f%&*s you had to get here? No F%&*s left?" and we sort of all looked at each other and nodded in agreement, that yes, all our mental capacity had been exhausted just deciding if it was safe to come out and sit in an audience.

We all live in our own mental bubble of what we think is normal. Comedy is a great way to see broader market research of behaviour. As is going to the shops (we see the masks subside and reappear), as is walking the streets and people watching. The important thing is to get out of your routine and into the broader world. 

In lockdown I did an EDx course that had students from all over the world, there were very few Australians. It was really interesting to see what other nations were focused on and how they viewed things (and how much more informed they seemed on everything globally!). We explored ideas from many different viewpoints, most importantly, from outside our own frame of reference.

This importance and the art of observation is probably why so many spies wrote great novels. Graham Greene, Roald Dahl and possibly Ernest Hemingway to name a few. 

The other benefit of observation is that inspiration can come from the most odd places. Sometimes just an glimpse of a person can present a whole character or story. An art work might tickle a tale from the recesses of your mind. An incident grows into something more detailed.

So as part of your writing routine, don't just sit at the computer or put pen to paper. Watch and learn. Literally.


For those doing actual exploring, this was sent to me due to my MANY concerns about our pending trip to Hobart (which I now wish I hadn't booked at all) - it is worth reading, but the chief take away is bring two weeks worth of medication in case you get stuck there. To those travelling, may the borders be ever in your favour!


Linking with #WritersDen


21 comments:

  1. We have decided not to travel at all. It's just to risky at our ages. We're doing fine staying home and keep ourselves occupied.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lydia one of my favourite places. I grew up in Sydney and loved going to the Ballet at the Opera House. There is nothing better than Sydney Harbour. Thanks for the memories. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening and observing are two important skills to have. Nice photos of Sydney Harbour and the Opera House. All the best with your story writing #WeekendCoffeeShare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia as an INFJ (Myers Briggs personality type) one of my best traits is the ability to observe and listen. I can remember tiny details that someone has told me about themselves - it helps create connection. Regards, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you are probably linking this post up for #lifethisweek but felt compellted to visit...and love the pics. I feel the same way about travel. I do not trust the borders staying open given how quickly they were to lock Melbs down and Brisbane too. Sigh. It does not end. However a wakeup stat today is that HALF a MILLION people in USA have died from Covid. And we are still 3 weeks away from the year since Australia locked down. Denyse #weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jimmy Giggle did this brilliant bit about how we need a govt website to give us out statistical chance of getting to a place and then getting home from a place - so for example, Sydney to Hobart 95% but getting home only 70% - hehehe

      Delete
    2. Love it!

      Thank you for linking up your blog post for #lifethisweek on Monday 22 Feb 2021. Next week, it's the first optional prompt of Taking Stock where I am using my own prompts for the first time. Hope to see you there, on or off prompt. Take care, Denyse #lifethisweek #linkup #Australia

      Delete
  6. Love these pictures of Sydney. Always makes me think of the sister bridge in Newcastle! And totally agree that getting out can help with inspiration! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the writing. I think you're right about comedy - it's a great way to measure how we're feeling and also a great way to look at current events. If we didn't laugh, we'd probably cry! Fingers crossed Tassie happens, we haven't got the bottle to even think about leaving the state!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love the quote. Photography helps me notice details and "see" more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed the comedy found on TV. I don't venture out much because of my age. Next week, I get the 2nd vacine shot. Covid doesn't really hit home until someone you love comes down with it, and how critically it affects people. When no one close to me was getting it, I admit, might have gotten bit lack. Feel so bad that they aren't doing the vacine first to those younger who have to go to work. I can stay home, and order stuff online. So handy with new tech these days. My loved one got it from someone at work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here in the Uk we have just found out we may be out of lockdown on June 21st. I think post lockdown anxiety is going to be a real thing for many people so, baby steps may be the right option for many stepping back into the old normal way of life. I would love to travel with my family this year x x Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos of the pretty Blue birds gracing you with their presence in your lovely garden, how wonderful. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Observation is an amazing tool for learning, I have found. I enjoyed your photos, but I am very fortunate that I really can't relate to any restrictions as there have not been any where I live since the first month.

    Your link is a great addition to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think observation skills are so important, particularly to writers, inspiration can be found by watching and learning but also I think it helps enrich writing in terms of capturing moments, environments, sounds and smells etc.

    Also, top tip about carrying extra medication in case you get stuck, I won't be travelling for a while but will remember that!
    Katrina
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos of the pretty Blue birds gracing you with their presence in your lovely garden, how wonderful. Thanks so much for linking up at Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS
     

    ReplyDelete

  15. Here in the Uk we have just found out we may be out of lockdown on June 21st. I think post lockdown anxiety is going to be a real thing for many people so, baby steps may be the right option for many stepping back into the old normal way of life. I would love to travel with my family this year x x Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a thing, the p[ost lockdown anxiety. I thought I'd be the first one to a restaurant but it took me ages and I had to poll everyone for their opinions on if they were doing it, if they thought it was safe etc...it's a weird headspace for a good 6 months.

      Delete
  16. I am definitely still very worried about going out and about, but am very much looking forward to life being a bit more "normal" again! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete