Saturday 20 March 2021

“A good life is a collection of happy moments” so keep collecting them ― Denis Waitley (and me)

 

There has been a lot going on in this country to be unhappy about. There is even more on a global scale to overwhelm you with feelings of loss and despair. However, there is good. Plenty of good and plenty to be uplifted by.

 



“One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and, if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words.”
― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


I was lucky this week to get to Monet & Friends, the very pretty exhibition on at EQ. I didn't love it as much as the Van Gogh, but I still enjoyed the music and colour, and learnt a little too. Did you know that the invention of the collapsible metal paint tube was what allowed the Impressionists to start painting outdoors? Artistic evolution through practical invention.



I also got to Summer in the Domain for Hayden James. It was all things wonderful in spite of the weather. In the uber there, my pulse was racing and the feeling in my chest was as if my ribs might burst as my heart expanded in joy. I was exuberant at the idea of being in that crowded energy, though we were spaced at tables and had to remain seated, and the heavens were about to bring forth a deluge.

I went with friends to Young Frankenstein at the Hayes Street Theatre. My friends were just back from Womad, and I hadn't seen them since last year, so it was lovely to catch up and heqar all their news. The show was hilariously kooky and frankly, I LOVE that you can get a Negroni or real champagne at the bar. It's a small theatre but hits all the high marks in my book. Plus weirdly no queues for the toilets even though there's only 2.


I got two hours to sneak off to The Other Art Fair, which was fabulous, thought provoking and fun. 

There was a break in the rain that allowed me to go for a walk & talk with a friend - my favourite type of exercise.








I've written a bit of a story and I've read a book and started a new one.

Tonight I am off to what would have been cocktails and bush tucker treats in the Botanic Gardens at sunset...while the Harbour views will be limited, it's an outing with friends so I'm happy enough.

So in these wet, dark and depressing times, life is still pretty. pretty good!

Linking with

Pieni Lintu - MakroTex challenge
 


Anthem of the week (both due to COVID and Floods):

17 comments:

  1. Hi Lydia, I do love Monet as I find the paintings very calming. I could actually feel your joy resonating through your words as you sat in the uber. Thanks for sharing your week and enjoy this one. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Van Gogh exhibition just started in San Francisco and I sooo want to go, but I'm worried about Covid so I probably won't. That was the long way around saying that now I'm extra sad to not be going, since your pictures from the Monet Exhibition look fantastic, so if the Van Gogh one is better, I'm completely missing out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Def safety first!! We are lucky with no cases so can breathe easy for a bit.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see you've been able to go out to art exhibits and socialize with friends. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I agree despite what's going on life is pretty good! Love the Monet event and getting together with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I toyed with the idea of travelling to Sydney to see The Stretton Collection at the Art Gallery but the 2 hours back & forth put me off. I used to do this kind of stuff all the time living in Sydney but now, perhaps age and a few more things are limiting me. I am definitely seeing Hamilton and picked a Sunday 1 pm performance for the travel reason. Thank you for linking up your blog post to Life This Week #232. Lots of interesting comments from bloggers this time about "good". Next week, the optional prompt is Heroic....that too might generate more conversation...and THAT is what I love about hosting a link up on my blog. See you there. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad for the happy moments in these horrific times.

    Fabulous photos, Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We all need a bit of light relief right now, and it seems you managed it! It's going to be while before we do here. Delightful pictures Lydia.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the renewed energy. I'd love to get down for the masters exhibition at ANG coming up. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great time getting out and catching up!

    I'm happy to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your quote at the beginning and the photos of the fascinating Monet exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, stunning Monet exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, the Monet exhibitions looks fabulous - must have been an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also loved Van Gogh! Should go and see Monet as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great and enjoyable art.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have had eventful, happy moments. Nice for you.

    R. Täysin arkista vol.2

    ReplyDelete