Wednesday 29 March 2023

Music at the Opera House

 

I love a lot of different kinds of music, but I will admit classical doesn't do much for me - or I guess technically I don't know what to do with it. So I will go to a concert if it's short and not too expensive. Generally, I think the SSO knows this, that they need to appeal to non Classical people to get new audiences in (to grow and continue) so once a year or so they do what I like to call Classical for dummies. It usually has Rhapsody in Blue (the crowd pleasing banger) and then fun other pieces to make it accessible to the Classical newbie..


One year they did all Gershwin and encouraged the audience to dress up and had sort of '20's history and prohibition stories thrown in. It was fabulous.

This time they had a great new piece out of Brisbane (sorry, didn't get any names) along with the Gershwin classic.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Though I did get in trouble for taking photos. In my defence, the guy made a bing long speech that to me sounded like you could take photos but not film or flash. My friend who was in the audience elsewhere agreed it was confusing (and she is a classical person and said since the concert hall reopenned they seem to make different rules each time and it's unclear). My husband would tell you I just wasn't listening.

Anyway, the reason I took photos was because I was quite mesmerised at how shiny the piano was. And was trying to capture at great reflection. So maybe that was a sign I'm not caught up in the music like I should be. I don't know. (I was up the front so phone could be at my chest and not block anyone's view.)

I did have a lovely night and really enjoyed the music but was glad when it ended (where as my husband was surpised at how short it was). And for me, a pre Show negroni at the Opera House is ALWAYS a winner....

Hilariously, I have a number of friends that assume I love classical music and they all keep asking me if I'm going to the Vivaldi next weekend. I have no idea where this idea comes from but I suspect it's from my once-a-year excursion to Classical for Dummies....


Do you go to different types of concerts to 'stretch' your musical taste?

Very tenuous link because I've alluded to Vivialdi's Four Seasons....(see what I did there? Boomtish)


















10 comments:

  1. I'm glad at least you had a good time and some fun flouting the rules. ;-) Even though you aren't a fan of classical music, Lydia. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really great - and I´m sorry that one cannot hear the music through pictures ...Have a good time.
    Violetta

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...these are fabulous images of an iconic place. Thanks for hosting the party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Opera House, the location and those iconic views Lydia. I'd go to a Classics for Dummies concert just to hear the music, as like you I'm not that into it. Thanks for the views and yes that piano is very shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pleased you took the photos as it was great to see the inside of the opera house. Hopefully one day I will get there. I wouldn't really care what type of music I was to see. Just to be in this iconic building would be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your shiny piano picture. I also enjoy concerts, but they get pretty stretchy for me, too. Too much of the same genre usually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia - I'm not a concert goer - and I've never really had an ear for classical music (I like people to sing as well as play). Being in the Opera House would have been lovely - we only got as far as the front steps on my one and only Sydney visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fab photos glad you had a good day and thanks for sharing :-)

    Have a concerttastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so very cool. I bet it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of your visit there. I do love classical when I'm in the right mood, but I'm more of a rock kind of gal. lol

    ReplyDelete