Saturday 25 March 2023

Share Four Somethings - March

Something I'm Loving You may remember I flew down to see Grace Petrie in January for my xmas present as we were away for her gig 5 minutes from my house. While there, she announced she was returning and this gig was in a small venue also walking distance from my home. I rustled up 8 others to come with me, and as always she was fabulous. 
Palm Tree Music Festival was on and it was so good. The line up was all my favourites, two I hadn't seen before. I was high for about three days afterwards, and even now, weeks later, a smile creeps onto my face at the thought of it. It was so elating. 

So I would say I'm loving music and dancing & singing in a crowd.







Something I'm Reading I've just started Cloud Cuckoo Land. I will admit so far I don't entirely understand what is going on, but it's early days. Have you read it, and did you like it? I'm getting a lot of people tell me they love his other one but not this one.

Something I'm Learning Australia has Nazis. I can not get my head around this. I do not understand why anyone would have those kinds of beliefs, nor think about them that much they join an organised group. I don't understand people don't seem more horrified about this. I feel everyone's moved on and I'm stuck back in horror and incomprehensible nature of it. I feel I'm at times so out of step with people in this country. I don't get how they can just brush it off and move on. That probably says more about me, and I suspect it's not that great either.

Something I'm Eating: I ate puffer fish. Years ago I wrote this post about not ever eating it. However in Japan we were served it three ways. It didn't give the numbness so I suspect it wasn't the poisonous parts. Or over fermented or something. It was done in a creamy French sauce so was too rich for me but I ate the ball and cracker, but only half of the other dish....




And that ends my month. Some good, some bad and some in between....how about you?


Linking with #ShareFourSomethings #HappyTuesday (because Grace Petrie and PalmTrees festival made me really happy!!) #MCoW#TheRandom #YourMoment



17 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I have a hard time believing there are any people that actually subscribe to Nazi beliefs, but I guess that sadly, hate still exists. You are very brave to try to puffer fish, I don't think I ever would! Have a blessed weekend! Visiting from SFS#12

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I. Other friends seem to think I'm naive for being so flummoxed by it.

      Delete
  2. Maybe we shouldn't be surprised there are still Nazi's around, but I am. I like to live in my little bubble. Um, puffer fish?! No thank you, you are braver than I am. Stopping by from SFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It horrifies me. Literally. And I can't get my head around it. It's so upsetting.

      Delete
  3. It's a sad world we live in Lydia. I was shocked with the news reports of Nazis. The word conjures up such distressing images I can't believe that there are people who still ascribe to the doctrine. On a positive note, I'm glad you were able see Grace Petrie and also so close to home. I've not heard of Cloud Cuckoo Land so will be interested in your thoughts when you have finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lydia - I had never heard of Grace Petrie until you wrote about her but I do like the sound of her music. I love live music (it really uplifts me) so thank you, you've reminded me I must try and get myself out to see some live music again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really uplifts me. I use it like therapy (when my Dad was dying, I'd use it at night to decompress and 'reset' so i could be A-grade support for everyone at the hospital the next day, both for mum and dad. I can see I was a little manic during that time (who, me? what?) but it was really healthy rather than drinking which would have been my alternative, I imagine...

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I wonder where our outrage has gone too Lydia, somethings that to me don't deserve a lot of attention, and others as you mention are hardly covered at all. I haven't heard of this book by Anthony Dooer but did enjoy his other one, so I'll be interested in hearing what you think. Not sure I'd try pufferfish but well done you! Great to hear you've enjoyed some concerts, dancing and singing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia - you lead such an interesting life. I love your 4 somethings because they show me snippets of what you've been up to. I think the Australian nazis are much like those who join bikie gangs - they're looking for belonging and someone who shares their beliefs - without the depth of character to realize how toxic their beliefs are. Unfortunately they feed off each other and it just makes things worse. There are always awful people in the world - and when they pop up it horrifies the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the Nazi thing horrifying but also find it interesting that so many of them wear masks, so they know they'd be judged for it and are unseemingly proud of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was unsure if that was for COVID or to stay anonymous...

      Delete
    2. so they couldn't be charged if they hit someone

      Delete
  8. I'm more interested in the Fugu fish you ate and would love more details, if you can. Lol! :) The only memory I have of the puffer fish is from a scuba diving expedition where it came close to me and I held it in my hands and it puffed into a huge ball. Was super hilarious to say the least.

    Now I'm not sure I'll eat one, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just tasted like fish. But the poison is meant to numb your lips. I thought that was the point of it. I asked the waitress and she said that if it was fermented it diluted the toxin and not all parts of the fish had it...

      Delete
  9. When (some) people are scared they revert to "going down old paths" and it's that way with the extremists. FEAR fuels it all. As always, I am grateful that you shared your post for Wednesday’s Words and Pics. See you again next week, when no more daylight saving in Australia for 6 months, means Eastern States will be all on same time! Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the opening photo. Nice composition and framing. And the light is fantastic. Great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to try the puffer fish . Sounds interesting. I like trying new things.

    There are tons of hateful groups, but you're right about why Nazi's. A horrible history they had.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Lydia. ♥

    ReplyDelete