Friday 17 March 2023

You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul - George Bernard Shaw


For the latest outing of the Wednesday Club I decided we would go glass blowing. 8 people were keen so our group filled the introductary course we did through Class Bento. We did of course, pick the hottest day to have to don long sleeves and long pants but the heat didn't dampen anyone's enthusiasm.

My zeal for this activity waned briefly when I read this article. Apparently I chose glass blowing because I am old and that's what old people do....(Note also my horror on the birds. I am obsessed with taking photos of birds these days!!). However, I guess I am exactly how cliches become cliches. So be it.




We turned up and the class opens with a demonstation, predominately for the safety aspect and basic techniques. What I liked most about this workshop is we were left to do it on our own. There were two teachers to assist if you wanted help, but they really only intervened if you asked. Your ability and creativity are the only things driving the outcome.




I made hooks on both mine, so I can hang them from trees in the garden (because I really don't need more 'stuff' I can't use hanging around the house). First we did sculptures and then we did glass blowing. The blowing is much harder than it looks, but it was really rewarding to see the ball appear at the end of the straw. It's a really fascinating process and quite mesmerising. 

What I took away from the expereicne, other than random glass pieces, is that glass is quite magical. It's elastic, soft and hard and brittle, and very easy to crack. I guess like people. We can treat them the right way and coax them through difficutlt times (heat) and they come out a thing of beauty and whole at the end, or they come out cracked and brittle with sharp spikes if we don't take care.

Mostly though, I just had a good time. There were laughs but there's something invigorating about trying something new...

So another thing added to and crossed off the list. (For new comers, more on the Torschlusspanik list here)



Torshlusspanik List:


1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving
6. Play Assassins Creed
7. Jetpacking (check)
8. The Color Run (check)
9. Invent something
10. Cooking Masterclass (check)
11. Master a Masterclass (check)
12. Perform a rap song (check)
13. Trampoline adventure (check)
14. BMX Riding (check)
15. Do a cart wheel (check)
16. Ride an Electric Bike (check)
17. Astonish Myself
18. Write a book.
19. Participate in a distance event (check)
20. Climb Sydney Tower (check)
21. Dance in a dance class (check)
22. Trust a stranger
23. Get a truck for the Landmine Museum and Relief Centre in Siem Reap
24. Paint a picture
25. Go Rollerskating (check)
26. Do Chinese Square Dancing
27. Do some life drawing
28. Make something on a pottery wheel (check)
29. Try Axe Throwing (Check)
30. Get into a nightclub with 'a strict dress code'. (check)
31. Go to a gig that starts after midnight. (check)
32. Glass Blowing (Check)





13 comments:

  1. Thats a pretty extensive list and a pretty impressive number of things checked off. Good for you! #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a lot of fun Lydia and I'm all for trying new experiences. I like the way you suggested glass is magical, a bit like people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what fun! I feel like we're sliding into old age because I did a leadlight course a few years ago (one of the few things on my bucket list - I have very few longings) and my husband has become fascinated by birds (weird!) At least they're the feathered kind. I read the article and I'm holding on to be young by claiming that I still love Ferris Bueller - that movie is in my Top 10 - the family just doesn't get it though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a million yearsa I would never have picked me as a personto get into bird watching but seriously, mad for it -taking photos of them all the time. Ha! (and your joke made me chuckle re the feathered kind)

      Delete
  4. I think glass blowing would be great fun! I'd love to do that! I know I'd probably be terrible at it but I'd love to learn the process and have a go at it. What a great list you have there too! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you experimented with glass blowing. For some reason, I never would have thought about that. I do love watching other people do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great adventure that was! I love that you made a glass ornament to hang in the garden. Thanks for linking up your post for this week’s Wednesday’s Words and Pics at Denyse Whelan Blogs. Your presence in the WWandP community is valued. I hope to see you next week! Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lydia, I am always fascinated by glassblowers and what they can produce. I remember visiting Venice and seeing beautiful glass pieces and the colours are gorgeous. Your piece is lovely and aren't you clever! I love your idea of the Wednesday Club and also your list which is quite comprehensive. You've inspired me. xx #WWandP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh Lydia!!! That's amazing. Your piece came out beautifully. I'd love to try this myself. Definitely not an old person's thing - but rather - more of a creative person's thing I'd say :-)

    BTW - this quote is everything. You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul - George Bernard Shaw. Love it!

    Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam - you are really inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great to learn a new skill and tick off another item on your list! Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing how glass can be manipulated like that. I wonder if it is ancient technology or something discovered later on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky you to have this experience. I would love to try this. And all your checks from the list are fabulous!
    Thank you for sharing with us such an event!
    Happy WW and a fine week!😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm jealous, I'd love a go at that, but I have trouble blowing up balloons!

    ReplyDelete