Thursday, 30 July 2026

Bear Season



When I was up north in Japan, I suddenly realised I was in bear country. A quick google showed the bears came right into town. I read all about what I should do if I saw a bear and my panic grew (I am carrying a lot more past trauma than I realised from the Polar Bear incident). I had thought I'd walk to the station early in the morning, but as the web advice recommend waiting until 8, I worked myself into a panic. I then decided I would get a taxi, even though it was only a 10 minute walk (I had been told it was a 15 minute walk and google maps thought it was 22 for some daft reason).

I asked at reception and told him I was scared of bears (not lazy) and he laughed but humoured me. The shuttle bus driver dropped me off as it was that close that he could be back for his pick up time (it was minutes in the car). As I watched all the school kids arrive on their own, I was embarrassed. More so when I walked home and discovered it was probably 5 minutes - 6 minutes walk at the most!

In my defence, even the tourist office in town had bear signs!















At a number of the sculpture gardens, I played music and stomped about as loudly as I could (in lieu of bear bells). I was constantly looking around in a panic, as I was the only person in the woods more often than not.

The thing is, I don't live in a place with bears so I didn't realise quite what a problem I had. It doesn't come up. It is something to keep in mind for future travels.




This is a bear bin (and snow) and was in the middle of town. So it was not all in my head. And the app confirmed my worries!

"The past is alive in the form of gnawing interior discomfort". Bessel A. van der Kolk, The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma

#Allseasons linky runs from Thursday to Wednesday each week. 

Link one post that shows something seasonal. Traditional weather wise, a seasonal nature marker or a seasonal celebration or event.  Please link relevant posts only.

Make sure you link back to this #AllSeasons post. 

Please comment on the post before yours and the host. Don't dump and run. 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

No comments:

Post a Comment