
I read Hooked because I liked the cover. I enjoyed it - it's quite nasty and funny, but it is a little too long and I felt the ending was a bit soft. I then read Butter as friends had been talking about it, and I realised it was the same author.
The concept is really interesting, and the ideas, that food is made to show love, but for women, it's restriction and a problem etc. Again nasty people, lonely people but a more interesting imagery thread than Hooked. That said, I think I liked Hooked better - more gritty and laugh out loud humour.
I liked Butter more than my friends did, but again, it's too long. I think both books would benefit with more concise storytelling. But it's a best seller so what do I know?
This is a short story and really lovely - powerful and impactful. I thought it was excellent. Dua Lipa's book club discussion about it with Claire Keegan is here.
This is our book club book. I have to say there's nothing wrong with it, just not for me. Very light and easy to read. Obviously about ageing...and people...It's written by a Australian Doctor who works in the sector and so there's a lot of what good aged care can do to allow elderly people to thrive in a new stage of life that can be so difficult to adjust to. It's sweet.
No comments:
Post a Comment