Sunday 12 June 2016

Domestic Disasters

I know too many cooks spoil the broth.
I know I have a kitchen because it came with the house.
I know I got too bored to even find a meaningful quote about kitchens or cooking.
I know I just gave away almost all our recipe books and that they had never been opened.
I know you can jump out of the frying pan and into the fire, but it's not advisable.

I wasn't even going to join in this week until I almost burnt the apartment block down while trying to cook the kids dinner, so I took it as a sign from the universe.
We have the world's smallest kitchen with no bench space, so I had put the dishes in the drying rack next to the gas top.
I start frying the whatever, and suddenly smell burning. Then see smoke. Fortunately then cottoned on that I was about to set the house ablaze (Jam fans, you're welcome if you now have an earworm). Note it actually took me a while to deduce all that.

I know it's in the interest and the safety of others that I stay out of the kitchen.
I know this quote pretty much sums me up:
I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself "well, that's not going to happen” ― Rita Rudner


  1. LOL!!! Glad you guys are OK.
    Loving that quote. LOVE LOVE LOVE
    But also loving your words up the top too ... "I know I have a kitchen because it came with the house." LOL.

  2. Love that Rita Rudner quote. SO very true.

  3. Haha cool quote. I nearly set fire to our rental house once, but I blame the faulty gas tap on the stove, not me! Bacon grease on the griller tray caught fire when I thought I'd turned it off. I nearly made it worse by chucking the tray into the sink and running water on it! Big NO NO!

  4. That quote was made for me as well! So pleased you didn't end up setting the place alight and thanks for linking up this week - such a fitting post too!

  5. So lucky you didn't cause a fire. Our kitchen is a lot like yours in this house. Too small, no bench space and you have to move everything to get anything done. We don't have gas though. Just a 1950s oven that either burns the crap out of everything or nothing cooks at all.

  6. I am laughing at your last quote! Time to admit our strengths and walk away from the kitchen. I'm glad you didn't go up in flames. Would have been scary.