Monday 31 July 2017

"There is only one you for all time. Fearlessly be yourself.” - Anthony Rapp.

I read a post the other day I didn't like. The post itself was fine, it was an interesting dissection of a comment made to the writer by a friend. What I didn't like was an offhand comment the blogger made about herself. I have written before that we don't need to believe everything we think, and that I think we'd all be so much happier with a little Kanye in our head. The real question is why do we self sabotage? Why do we get in our own way? Why are we the voice that puts us down?

We can learn a lot from young children. A three or four year old thinks everything they do is great. They don't compare themselves to others, they just look at what they made or did and love it for the effort they put into it. They love the way they look, no matter if they're still in their pyjama pants and haven't brushed their hair. We need to start to learn from those who are evidently wiser than we are.

We need to be our own best friend. You hear that voice telling you that you're fat, ugly or hopeless, tell it to shut up. Literally say out loud "No. Not today".You wouldn't let someone talk to a friend like that, so why do you let someone say it to you?

Value yourself. See the value in all that you do. Inner peace comes once you remove the drama in your head.

My challenge to all of you for this week, is try it. When you feel doubt come in, say "Why not me?" and write the piece, enter the competition, run the race - whatever it is you want to do. When you look in the mirror and the negative thoughts creep in, ask yourself what Kanye would say? When you put yourself down out of habit, stop and rephrase it. Say it out loud in the positive. If you catch a friend doing the same, stop them. Drag them along with you.

You are valuable and your opinion of yourself is worth more than the opinion of others. This week, be awesome. Own it and try whatever you want to, even if it feels awkward or unnatural. Like Kanye says “I refuse to follow the rules where society tries to control people with low self-esteem"

Let me know how it goes. I'm going to do it too. Let's see if there's a difference (or we get a grammy)?

Linking with #ParentPower as I'm noticing this mass of insecuriteis is hitting my youngest's peer group and we need to lead the way on this. Around 11-12 they seem to start doubting themselves and their worth - just in time for High School!

loopyloulaura

16 comments:

  1. Kanye is quite the modern philosopher, isn't he?! I think you're right, we do have to be our own best friends, and our own cheerleaders. I've been monitoring my self talk lately, and if I wouldn't say it to a friend, I won't say it to myself either. Don't hold your breath waiting for my grammy though, OK?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! After ice skating for a few hours on our nz trip our seven year old announced that ice skating was her talent. She could barely stand on the ice unassisted, but in her eyes she thought she had nailed it. I wish I had her confidence. I'm going to take on your advice this week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this story!! Don't let her lose that!

      Delete
  3. Yes!! Agree to all this. The best thing we can do for ourselves is value ourselves and stop listening to the inner negativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something I'm trying to instill in my girls! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and completely agree. I learn so much from our kids (aged 4 & 7). They reminded me not to sweat the small stuff, to have fun and not take life to seriously. #TeamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  6. I struggle with self confidence, but I'd love to think and feel this way more often. Something to strive for!

    Di from Max The Unicorn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fab message. Thanks for linking up to fortheloveofblog x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so on board! I am letting all things overwhelm me, but I made a list this morning and have already whittled it down, I am looking at a great rest of the day because I have gotten most of it out of the way and am feeling organised AF :)
    I have to remember this when coaching my four year olds how awesome they think they are. Hopefully I continue to see them become more confident little humans :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many thanks for visiting by my blog! I'll keep in mind the positivity shared through your essays; and i've read, as well, the posts "You can't stop my shine, not today" from august 15, 2016 and "Epiphany" from november 9, 2015. Indeed, great thoughts to think about: "Why do we let other people take our confidence away? Why does society want to set so many limitations on our sense of beauty and value? It seems so mean and pointless. And if we can't keep our head above it, so self defeating.
    So day by day I'm working on it, and hopefully one day I'll begin to believe it too."
    Also, you're so very right: "We need to be our own best friend. You hear that voice telling you that you're fat, ugly or hopeless, tell it to shut up. Literally say out loud "No. Not today".

    Thank you and a lovely week to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that idea, living in the mindset of my 4 and 5 year olds, they think they're awesome at everything (I happen to think they're pretty awesome too), but I should approach my own life with that attitude. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you can come back next time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree, life is too short! By the time you sit around wondering if you are good enough you could have already achieved that goal! Thanks for linking up at #kcacols hope you can join us again next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I needed this little pep talk. We really could learn a thing or two from our kids! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely agree sometimes we can learn the best lessons from kids #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toddlers are definitely living their best lives and we could definitely take a leaf out of their books. This week, I'll be trying to be a little more Kanye! #ParentPower

    ReplyDelete
  15. I needed to read this today as I'm planning on applying for a permanent job where I am working temporarily: come on me! Thanks for linking up with #parentpower

    ReplyDelete