Monday 14 October 2019

“Dance is the hidden language of the soul” ― Martha Graham

I have written before of how therapeutic I find dancing, and how great it is for confidence and well being, no matter how terrible you are at it. If I go too long without it, I get 'itchy' feet...

A friend sent me a story, that she said reminded her of me. In South Korea, a group of over 65's had thrown away their medicine and walking sticks as a result of government funded day time dance parties for seniors. Some had even met new partners. I love this story so much. I can see easily how it would be so beneficial to their heath and mood.


In China, the elderly all meet up in parks and in the walkways of the Chinese monuments (like Temple of Heaven) to play Go or cards. They have a tradition of dancing in public squares together at night. You don't need to know anyone, you just join in. Squares all over the city are full of people  of all ages dancing at night. The Chinese seem to have a very social view of life. It's easy to see this might lead to greater happiness than being cut off and isolated, and left just to family when they get home from work. I think it's something we've really lost in this country, and probably explains our high rates of depression.
Square dancing in Xian



I'm listening to a book which is talking about all the 80 year olds on Tinder in the West. It's very hard to socially meet people their age in daily activities. I had never even thought about this, so of course Tinder (or such apps) would make sense. However, in those Chinese and South Korean settings, you wouldn't need an app, as you are constantly out mixing with people, so the loneliness and isolation aren't an issue.

On my return, I was delighted to discover the City of Sydney offers classes for Chinese Square dancing (Plaza dancing). It's inclusive for people with disabilities too. So if you know someone who would benefit from this, pass on the details - it could be literally life changing.

As for me, I'm going to check it out - not to find a date but I see myself as a South Korean senior at a daytime rave, and this is close enough. So dusting off my very neglected list, I've one more to add:


Torshlusspanik List:


1. Shooting (check)
2. Fencing (check)
3. Play croquet at Croquet Club
4. Laser skeet
5. Off road buggy driving
6. Play Assassins Creed
7. Jetpacking (check)
8. The Color Run (check)
9. Invent something
10. Cooking Masterclass (check)
11. Master a Masterclass (check)
12. Perform a rap song (check)
13. Trampoline adventure (check)
14. BMX Riding (check)
15. Do a cart wheel (check)
16. Ride an Electric Bike (check)
17. Astonish Myself
18. Write a book.
19. Participate in a distance event (check)
20. Climb Sydney Tower (check)
21. Dance in a dance class (check)
22. Trust a stranger
23. Get a truck for the Landmine Museum and Relief Centre in Siem Reap
24. Paint a picture
25. Go Rollerskating (check)
26. Do Chinese Square Dancing

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire


Do you think we've let the elderly down with our way of life? 
Have you noticed how insular we are in Australia these days?
Do you like to dance?


Linking with #TheRandom #GlobalBlogger  #KCACOLS  & #StayClassyMama



24 comments:

  1. I'm like you, I adore dancing and frankly don't do it enough. #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now your post has really struck a chord with me. From the age of 3 I did ballet and tap dancing. I'm now 48 years old and haven't danced for 30 years (well I have, around my kitchen mostly), but I still miss it. Dancing is good for the soul x

    #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dancing! My husband doesn't like it so I took up Zumba, which is my favorite social exercise. I like the Chinese philosophy of dancing together. I wish we had a tradition like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband doesn't either. At weddings I get one dance. He always says "Choose your song carefully. You only get one!" but my BIL loves to dance so I dance with him now. I just go to concerts by myself or No lights no lycra (which is dancing in the dark for exercise for an hour). Or in the morning while I'm getting ready.

      Delete
  4. I love dancing (but I have two left feet) I was terrible at Zumba but I do enjoy having a "dance when no-one is watching" moment here and there. Your bucket list is amazing and so far out of my comfort zone!
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A publisher just rang today to find out about my book and I had to tell them to call me again in a year...so some of the list is, if not out of my comfort zone, well out of my focus at the moment...but I really will get back on it!! ha!

      Delete
    2. Next week's post is also on dancing and old women behaving badly...It seems to be a theme for me at the moment

      Delete
  5. I love dancing and I love this idea of nightly dancing in the square. It is a social event and a great way to circumvent loneliness. Suicide rate among seniors in the U.S. is very high, I wonder if this kind of activity would lessen that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the US is like us, and failing in our Aged Care options. It was really interesting to see. They also all get around on motorised scooters (like Vespas) and they're laughing and out and about.

      Delete
  6. I'm far too uptight ... but jolly good luck to those who enjoy dancing ... #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were in Shanghai it was wonderful to visit the park and see many couples ballroom dancing. Dancing brings so much joy as well as being a healthy way to keep fit. Thanks for sharing at #MLSTL. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely thought provoking post Lydia and I love that last quote by Voltaire about reading and dancing. I enjoy music but not dancing so much. I think I'm too self conscious. When our daughter was getting married I asked some friends who love to dance to give us some lessons and it was really fun. My husband can't dance to save his life but he loved the patterns that dancing created and he really got into it. He's a mathematician so could see the movements as solving a puzzle. #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome. I volunteer with the oldies once a week, and it is fantastic for their social life and mine! Although they don't dance (just light exercise) it gets them out of the house and out in the community. I'd be coming with you if I'd lived there, and it is something I will be doing when I get older. To tell the truth I benefit as much as the oldies with our once a week exercise class! :) #openslather

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so want you to tell me one day (night) you went to one of my grandson's (FireliteDJ) raves and danced!!
    Denyse #mlstl
    PS my parents LOVED to dance as a couple and did this at any place that had some music when they went out to dinner. I personally was embarrassed but liked a dance with my husband. Loved teaching kids folk dancing AND the traditional dances for their end of Year 6 parties. Denyse #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's amazing! I love that people of all ages just turn up and dance, even if you don't know anyone. What a wonderful idea and of course as it's outside it's more or less free - which probably encourages more people to just give it a go, even if dancing isn't their thing. Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love dancing but at the minute it's limited to dancing in the kitchen with my children. It always cheers me up. I've seen the dancing in China that you've written about and I wish we had it here too. #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love dancing, we often dance around the living room or kitchen together as a family. Love the idea of just turning up to a park or square! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dancing is the best medicine, along with laughter and even better when done together x

    #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  15. My two love dancing, especially the eldest who does dance lessons. I can't dance to save for my life but there's something great about a boogie around the kitchen! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am terrible at dancing but it does always lift my mood. There's something so freeing about it #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love to dance but rarely get the opportunity these days. If ever there is a family party or get together I am out there dancing to the music. My sisters, like so many others are full of inhibitions but I just can't live that way. I honestly don't care what other people think. Life is too short for that....#KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love singing and dancing but am not very good. I rarely have music around these days as my kids hate my choices! Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dancing, though I only do it in our kitchen these days. I absolutely agree that it's great for our mental health, and the dance class you're going to sounds fab. Keep dancing!
    Thanks so much for linking up with #KCACOLS, I hope you'll join in again next time x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it can be very lonely for older people, especially as families often live far away and with a high divorce rate we don't always find a partner for life anymore. Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete