Saturday 26 October 2019

My favourite book as a child...

One? I can only pick one? No, as I'm not a stickler for rules, I'll have to go with my favourites...of which there were many.

The very hungry caterpillar started a life long love affair with Eric Carle's work, as a late discovery discussed. Simplicity in art and story to create perfection.

Where the wild things are gave me a love for all the adventures and bad tempered boys of Maurice Sednak's creations. Sometimes it's okay to be cranky, but learn to reign it in, like Pierre or Johnny, or face the consequences.

The grisly fairy tales of Hans Anderson and Grimm - in particular, the Little Match Girl, the Tinder Box and the Steadfast tin soldier were my favourites. I also can't stand the Disney ending of the Little Mermaid. Apparently I am not a happily ever after kind of girl, which could be why I find the Chinese cinema cathartic...or maybe I've a bitter side that needs a safe space to run it's course?

I loved so many books of Dr Seuss, but more left of centre, like Go Do Go and I wish that I had Duck Feet. I'm guessing his exploration of the crazy world of possibility is the magical appeal.

Not my favourite book as a child, but one of my favourite children's book is I wish I had a pirate suit by the fabulous Pamela Allen. The perfect gift for any second (or subsequent) child. It captures the human condition perfectly.

Did you have a favourite book as a child?

Linking with #DreamTeam

18 comments:

  1. I read so much as a child and have vivid memories of Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree and Nancy Drew mysteries. My mother tells me that the book I insisted on being read to me night after night when I was really little was Little Black A Pony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of love for both The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Dr Seuss - both as a child and as a parent reading to my son!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These were a bit after my childhood I think (some of them I read to my own kids!) I loved Hans Christian Anderson, little golden books, Enid Blyton and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar and all the Mr Men books and of course, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will always have a special place in my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Granny got me on to Mr Men. We still have my copies...

      Delete
  5. So many great books that I have loved too. I LOVED I Wish I Had Duck Feet that I always read at my grandparents home, and I have fond memories of it. I think as a child I loved The Tiger That Came to Tea by Judith Kerr and The Lion in the Meadow by Margaret Mahy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved the Tiger that came to tea as a kid, so I got it for my kids but I actually found it a little depressing (or odd). I LOVED it as a kid tho....strange.

      Delete
  6. A lifelong love of reading is something I was pleased to pass onto my children. I introduced my grandchildren to the love of my local library too so they could discover the magical world that books open up. Such a great discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nodded as I read your list. In Canada Robert Munsch books for children are very popular too. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids had Munsch. He's not very big here at all but we have about 10 of his books! I loved Mortimer...lalalalala

      Delete
    2. This is a great book, my favourite children's book is the Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson, I can recite it 12 years after having to give up my child minding career due to ill health #twinklytuesday@_karendennis

      Delete
    3. I liked her Snail and the Whale...

      Delete
  8. I loved Nancy Drew, Anne of Green Gables, Famous Five....the ones you mentioned are all great Lydia and I'm now enjoying buying books for my little granddaughters. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd struggle on a favourite book too but loved the Hans Christain Anderson books too, oh and Famous 5. #Twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hungry Caterpillar...started my son's love of reading as a baby and then we passed on the book to each grandchild which came along too. When I was teaching (after I'd stopped being principal) I did all the Eric Carle books with all the kids in RFF and we got so much about art and language from them: K-Yr 6. I have Eric Carle on CD reading this story and will never part with it. It is a classic!! Thanks for linking up for #lifethisweek. Next week's optional prompt is 44/51 Colours I Love 4/11/19 and I hope to see you link up then too. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had so many favourite books as a child. I really loved Roald Dahl and read all of his. I also adored the chaotic humour of the Ms. Wiz books. The Jolly Postman was also a firm favourite. #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to say, they're great books but I was never hugely keen on the hungry caterpillar or Dr Suess. Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and Janet and Allan Ahlberg were all authors I absolutely adored through different stages of childhood. #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite books were the Nancy Drew series. A female detective who solved crimes was so awesome! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete