Wednesday 30 October 2019

An invitation from the Prime Minister

Yesterday I received an invitation from the Prime Minister. Well, from the Prime Minister's Office. The Prime Minister of Finland. It was an invitation to attend the International Gender Equality Prize Ceremony and Reception. In attendance would be the Prime Minister, the Deputy Director General of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Ombudsman for Equality (Helsinki), the Minister for Nordic Cooperation and Equality and the MP and Chair of the National Council of Women of Finland (Helsinki) - who I might add, is a woman logically, unlike ours was a few years back. I think these are people our country could learn a lot from. Note the Finnish government has almost parity of gender - not from quotas, merely by chance because women are valued as people.

I am very excited, as I nominated the Daughters (and Sons) of Cambodia for their work to improve gender equality, getting women and trans men out for prostitution and violent situations by educating them with skills to work in other fields. For those that continue to work in the sex industry, they support with health testing. It is a religious organisation, but you don't need to convert to receive help (as true Christians know. Shame on those applying charity with 'strings').

I have my fingers crossed that they win, as they would make good use of the cash injection. If you are looking for Christmas gifts, maybe check out their site and see what the shop has in store.

I toyed with the idea of going, as the city of Tampere has a Moomin Museum, a Spy museum and their Vivid on (The Festival of Lights). And I would get to hear these wonderful forward thinking people speak on a panel, discussing ways forward for equality.

However, I've decided not to make the journey, as exciting as it would be. The money, the emissions (and the 27 and 29 hours flying time) for only 2 days in Finland, seemed too extravagant, especially when I will be there in January.

So I will just have to get myself invited again. Next year.



Thus this week, I am loving the feeling that there is a better way to do things, and that I'm vaguely somehow part of it. I'm loving the hint of hopefulness that I may have enabled something to help  people doing good for a lot of people living a devastatingly hard life. I want to thank the Finnish Government for their generous $300k prize that goes out globally, and for realising their role is bigger than their own borders.

We can do better, we must do better.

What are you loving this week?

Linking  up this old post with #TimelessThursdays. I was discussing my regret now,  at not going when I had the chance as travel is no doubt to become impossibly expensive when it's finally allowed. I guess you learn a lot in hindsight...

PS Happy Halloween everyone. I fell in love with this display and am declaring them the winner of our neighbourhood. I am currently trying to work out how to take my youngest and her friend out trick or treating and be home to answer the door so the middle one can study for his exams tomorrow without being disturbed. Any suggestions are welcome!



15 comments:

  1. Happy Halloween! I'm still a bit stumped as to how you came to receive an invitation to an event in Finland! Shame it wasn't in January when you'll be there. You'll be in Finland in January? How exciting!! #TeamLovinLife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote an essay as to why I think the Daughters of Cambodia (and Sons of Cambodia deserve to win the International Gender Equality Prize for their work in promoting equality in the world.

      Delete
  2. Ok, I'm stuck on Finland in January. Seriously though, there is a way of doing things better and the idea of quotas is not a solution for me. We want parity through respect - althogh if quotas help us get to that point...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finland doesn't have quotas. I find when I tell people that their government has almost parity, Australians tend to assume it's because of quotas, which reflects more on us than anything else. So I was just pre-empting that assumption, tho maybe I made it confusing. We've been to Finalnd before in January, it was awesome!!!! This year we are going to Norway but I've snuck in 2 nights there (as we had to change planes) to go to their fabulous new art gallery.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I never knew about this, thanks for sharing! Hope you enjoy your time in Finland in January :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to promote it next year, so if you think of an organisation that is doing great work promoting gender equality, enter for them. I'm already thinking about how I can nominate next year...

      Delete
  4. Good for you! What a lovely trip that will be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you on being invited, and I totally understand your reasons for not attending, but keeping everything crossed for your nominated organisation. And next year, we hope you make it and we get to see some photos of the Moomin Museum x #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exciting to get the invite even if you choose not to go, for very good reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah congratulations being invited - how exciting. But totally understand your reasons for not attending. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's actually so exciting Lydia! Whether you go or not, just being part of it through the nomination process and getting the letter to be there is very cool. I hope your nominees win. When are the winners announced? Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting, shame you can't justify the trip but amazing just to be invited and I hope the Daughters (and Sons) of Cambodia win. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the invitation! #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting to get an invite like that. I want to visit Finland one day as I am part Finnish. Hope you made it back before Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dearest Lydia this is such a big thing! I am so proud of you and your invite and even if you weren't able to be there, the fact that you have been selected to be invited is such a milestone. Finland is also one of my dream destinations but it's very expensive for me, hopefully someday :)

    ReplyDelete