Sunday 3 November 2019

Keep your magic close


This weekend saw me enter magical universes. First an underground speakeasy at Beyond Cinema's Blind Barber in the tunnels under the Coal Loader. Then in the Japanese inspired Strike Bowling and lastly in the world of Wizard school (not Harry Potter for copyright reasons...) at the Wizards Cauldron. 










There is something so fun about dressing up and taking on a different persona. It's all the fun of play that you lose as you get older. You escape yourself, and more importantly, all the troubles of the world, and for an hour or so, enter a world of delights in another dimension.


Don't worry about looking silly. If you dress up, commit. Don't worry if you're too old, once your in character, you can be whoever you want to be. As I said to my youngest when she was upset about the tooth fairy, after a friend had told her: 'Keep your magic close. Sometimes you have keep it just for youself to keep it alive. With magic, you can choose to believe just for a little bit, just for the experience, like when you see a magician.'



The same goes for self conscious adults, sometimes you just have to throw yourself into it, just to keep the magic alive. It is surprising how revitalised it can make you feel. I found this quote below, and I think it's spot on. If you throw yourself into the fun, or life, you are caught up in the joy of it, and less likely to hear that critical inner voice that likes to steal your delight.







 “Beauty is about perception, not about make-up. I think the beginning of all beauty is knowing and liking oneself. You can't put on make-up, or dress yourself, or do you hair with any sort of fun or joy if you're doing it from a position of correction.”
― Kevyn Aucoin


Do you like to dress up or play make believe?


13 comments:

  1. Fab post looks like a fun place to go and enjoy yourself I liked all the pics too :-)

    Have a magictastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My entire life is a wonderful game of Make-Believe 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a really fun weekend! I do love to dress up. My feelings about make up are complicated. On one hand, I do like to look pretty. On the other hand, I think "Men think they are pretty enough without painting their faces." Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have that wired in us. We intellectually argue the game but we keep on playing it regardless...I do, at least.

      Delete
  4. I've always envied sort of the people who seem so free with themselves. I've always been a keep it in check type of gal so you're right..keep the magic and beliefs alive even as we age. I agree with Meditations....men just seem to be and not so worrisome about their looks, however, seems the younger generation is jumping more on board with more appearance awareness. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Australia, eating disorders are split 50/50 between male and female teens, so it appears the genders are a lot more anxious about things, and appearance is one of them. I do agree men used to not worry so much.

      Delete
  5. The Wizards Cauldron is so cool! I like Halloween. I only have it in me to figure out my own costume. That's enough. This year I was Salvador Dali.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great one! Are there pics this week?

      Delete
  6. The older I get, the more I can appreciate letting go. This looks like an awesome place for fun!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great place to let your hair down (or pile it up as the costume demands!), Lydia.
    Until recently, we used to celebrate Carnevale in costume. Nowadays it's just evening dress and masks.
    Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete