Monday 25 November 2019

Life lessons from strange observations...

My husband only just worked out U2 where here. He asked why they hadn't advertised. I said I got emails but I didn't really see any big billboards or much other advertising (but I don't really listen to radio so maybe that was the problem). We then discussed the posters and advertising for Elton, and how it was such big news - though having 20 million concerts in the country might be part of it. We decided maybe U2 concerts were targeting the die hard fans, so they didn't need to advertise as much, and because of the movie, Elton was targeting both new and old audiences, so a more visual prompt in the advertising was required.

It got me thinking.

There's an interesting life lesson in all this. At a snapshot in time, Elton was washed up, more or less, musically when U2 were the biggest thing on the planet but fast forward 30 years and a 70 year old is going to break Ed Sheeran’s ticket sales record in this country and can apparently put on 6 months worth of concerts and that’s still not enough to exhaust ticket sales. So, no matter how dark your today is, there might still be an unexpected and amazing tomorrow.....
And in words no one ever thought would be said, way back in the heady 70’s and dark 80’s* - Be like Elton!

Linking with #KCACOLS #StayClassyMama  #DreamTeam and #MLSTL because you might think you've passed your prime, only to discover the best might be yet to come!

*based on the movie, I know no actual facts, other than from my very unreliable memory.

I love this song, featuring Elton John but warning, the video is distressing (gang violence).

18 comments:

  1. I love that Lydia, because you might think you've passed your prime, only to discover the best might be yet to come - this is so true and so appropriate! #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that he's proof that age is no barrier to success...

      Delete
  2. I was like your husband - didn't know they were here until pics were appearing on Facebook etc. I didn't know Noel Gallagher (or is it Liam) was here until a colleague at work said that he was on his flight from Melbourne the other day - and I had no idea why he was here until the U2 pics started appearing on everyone's Facebook and Instagram. I do like your analogy though re Elton John being "washed up" and then all of a sudden not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did a poll of how people knew they were coming (U2). The Melbourne tix sold out in minutes, so it was well targeted, but most people didn't know of any noticeable advertising. A few people got the ticketek emails ages ago (and got tickets). I think it was cleverly targeted to the right people.

      Delete
    2. And seriously, in 1989, who would have thought in 30 years time the whole world would be mad for sell out Elton John concerts?

      Delete
  3. I like your "be like Elton" call to action Lydia - so many of us hear that we're past our prime and on the downhill slope by now. Nice to know that 70 yr old rockers are still going strong and selling out millions of tickets.
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent point, Lydia. Many amazing things have been accomplished by people in the second half of life. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me of the word “resilience,” Lydia. Some artists are more resilient and like you say, the best might be yet to come. Reading your post I had a flashback of seeing Elton John in the 1970’s in Vancouver, B.C. when he had the coloured ping pong balls sticking out of him. He is definitely iconic. Thank you for sharing an interesting post. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we get outrageous Elton but I suspect we may not...That would have been a sight!

      Delete
  6. I like this! I'm 41 and definitely looking the best I ever have in my life. I don't think we're ever past our prime, unless we decide we are.

    Bethany @ Happily Loco

    ReplyDelete
  7. Resilience! Never say never & never quit. Who knows what the future will bring?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The older I get the more and more I find myself trying to convince myself of this! Your reasons are pretty solid though! #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely a great view point to have. You never know what amazing success is just around the corner! #StayClassyMama & #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems like everything 'old' is new again and making a comeback. #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like him or not, Elton's is some success story! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the meaning behind this post. You are never past it and you always have to be ready to shine, whatever your age. Thank you so much for linking up with us for #kcacols and we hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that music can span the generations and continue to inspire. Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're absolutely right. I've thought about this myself before and really there are very few artists who can fill large stadiums like this and to be able to still achieve it when you have reached 70 really says it all. At the end of the day the talent will always speak for itself! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete