Saturday 14 March 2020

“It is easy to believe we are each waves and forget we are also the ocean.” ― Jon J. Muth

My neighbourhood had steered clear of the toilet paper panic. Until this weekend. A neighbour on a pension told my husband that the local IGA had been cleared out of toilet paper. I said I could get him some, as so far, I've been in my own Truman Show where none of this craziness was a problem. I'm currently trying to share the money to the small corner shops (as they'll be hit hard in the lockdown), and discovered I was gouged at $8 for a 6 pack in my do-goodery. I will admit I was annoyed when I figured it out, as I do expect more from our people in the neighbourhood. But I'd already tapped and paid, so I gifted it to our neighbour and kept the price secret. I can afford to waste $8. He cannot. I had been proud of my neighbourhood at their lack of hysteria but I guess even they've fallen. Try to support the smaller businesses if you can (though maybe not if they're gouging), the big chains will survive. The little guys may not.



I have taken heart that on the local FB page, a lot of people are trying to work out how to look after the elderly and those with mobility issues. How to get them supplies.  I like that there are people offering boxes of home grown produce to those in need.










Neighbours are meant to look out for each other. If your neighbourhood isn't, then it's time for you to start. Start with one specific person if necessary, but start all the same. It can be small and easy - I shop for a 96 year old neighbour. It's minimal effort for me but provides weekly support for her. I am a little worried about what happens in the lockdown. On Friday I made her watch from the lounge room while I unpacked the groceries, and I sanitised before walking in. I'm not sick but I worry about the infectious period with no symptoms. We need to be very mindful of our role as infectors, not just getting sick ourselves.


Now is a time we need to rally together. Make sure no one is left behind. It's time to stop the everyman for himself attitude because we won't survive this if we're selfish. We need to be on the lookout for those in need. We need to share the spending around. We need to think a little more about what we're doing.

We need to be good neighbours.



Do you have ideas on how we can help people during the lock down? Please share below.
Or if you are out of lockdown, have you made helping your neighbours and those in need a priority?
Linking with #Blogtober21 because when I read the prompt, this photo of a car was the first thing that sprung to mind and we're still in lockdown so it all still applies really....






30 comments:

  1. My elderly neighbours and I have each other's phone numbers. I call to check in. They're doing OK so far. We don't have a lock down yet and hope not to get to that point. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that quote!

    My hubby went to every grocery store in our little town yesterday. There was no toilet paper to be found. We are not desperate. Yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woolies have now announced that they will have a special shopping time just for the elderly from 7am to 8am each day so they can have a bit more of a peaceful shop and hopefully access everything after the store has restocked overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heckers - it's all a nightmare isn't it! I drove everywhere today to ALDI, then Woolworths and finally my local IGA who did have a small amount of pasta, meat and bread! Might stick to the local even if it is more $$.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the timely reminder to be there for each other, Lydia. We are stronger together.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree. I'm cooking and shopping for my elderly neighbour - just dropping everything at the door - and checking in with other elderly friends. These are trying times especially for the old folk, some of whom are on lockdown already, it must be so lonely so I think even the little things mean a lot. It's true what they say, everybody needs good neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applaud your efforts Lydia and agree this is the time to help out others who may be more vulnerable than us. It's not a good time at the moment but your post made me smile with your photos and words, so thank you :) #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you are being a wonderful neighbour in these strange times! Well done you! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your opening quote and your call to neighborliness. Much more important than panic. Visiting you from the global blogging link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos and quotes, but I think your advice to 'start all the same' is the best we can all hear.

    Thanks for your contribution to 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good one Lydia. My Dad has my brother living close by who can shop for him but when he is away, like now, his upstairs neighbour takes the list. Dad did all of his shopping till mid last year I guess and it was his back & legs which stopped him because getting over the road to Coles from his unit was just too far. He remains independent as much as possible. I am not driving down to take him meals for a while yet (he has some and I am still in recovery from the eye surgery) but he lives next door to DY RSL and can pop in there for a lamb cutlet meal as he says!! Thank you for being part of Life This Week. Next week's optional prompt (made before COVID 19 lol) is 12/51 Out & About. 23.3.2020. Hope to see you there too. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are being very careful in public places, and only go when it is absolutely necessary to obtain supplies. We do go out walking but only in places where there are no crowds. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your personal efforts, Lydia, and your reminder to the rest of us. I love that quote about the happiest people. One simple thing we can all do is offer a smile and a wave, a kind word (from a distance). I went for a run on the parkway near my home today, there were encouraging messages chalked on the trail and everyone waved and said hello to each other. It really lifted my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that chalk idea....I wonder if we still have some?

      Delete
  14. If there can be one positive to everything that is happening in the world right now, its communities pulling together to help each other out. Well done to you for being such a good neighbour!

    We have a whatsapp group set up with our neighbours so we can help the elderly who live down our road too.

    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time

    ReplyDelete
  15. My local area has a Facebook group and we've been doing things from putting rainbows in the windows for the children to look for when they walk around the avenue for exercise to ensuring the vulnerable have everything they need. I've never known community spirit like it and it's wonderful.

    You've done so many wonderful things for your community. I am in isolation until Wednesday when I hope to be able to spread some goodness myself.

    The toilet paper thing I just don't understand! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The supermarket empty shelves and rations is doing my head in. Australians have created an unnecessary problem. It's deranged.

      Delete
  16. Life is very strange right now and to me being a good neighbour at the moment means staying home to reduce the risk to others. I feel reassured that so many people are volunteering to help others. Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is a very strange life we have right now, isn't it. We are in total lockdown now, but we all need to do our part. Thank you for sharing with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is all very strange, but good that people are showing community spirit. #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  19. Safely and sane are very high notions în this pandemic time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Things have changed a lot since March. I hope you are doing well, along with your 96 yr. old neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just be safe. I am going back to my classroom next week and people are suing to stop the use of masks. Very scary times. #allseasons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so sorry for you teachers. You are being put in such extraordinary situations. I've been emailing both schools to acknowledge what an exceptional job they are doing and thanks the teachers. What jackass would sue re having to wear masks? How little do they understand about this disease? I am astounded anyone could be so stupid.

      Delete
    2. For the record I wear glasses and have no issue with glasses and even exercised the other day in one with no issue at all (because while I'd been covid cleared, I had the tail end of a cold)

      Delete
  22. Ahh! I remember the shortages of toilet roll here too as well as pasta, tinned tomatoes and bread. Our neighbourhood was wonderful when we were in the middle of the lockdowns, all helping out each other.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post brought me back to March 2020, with the same thoughts and worries. It was heartening to see neighbours support each other. This situations bring out the best and worst in people. Lots of love xxx #Blogtober2021

    ReplyDelete
  24. I remember all the panic buying - couldn't understand why everyone was buying up all the tinned tomatoes - what could they be making? lol I am just glad things have settled down and I still wear my mask and respect the shop staff as its not their fault the world has gone mad panic buying.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have such a kind heart. We still have a lot of panic buying here - at the moment it's petrol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel for the people in the UK - this on top of all the COVID stuff. It must be exhausting.

      Delete