Wednesday 24 June 2020

“You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you.” ― Andy Warhol

I had this week put aside to catch up on work, and with little planned in the diary, it looks dull (until our party this weekend - with a whole 20 guests!) but it's been filled with a lot of delights.

We went to dinner at a great restaurant in Petersham, Noi, which friends had picked and it was a really fun night and the food and service is fantastic. Sydney people, definitely check it out.

I had two spontaneous catch ups with friends (so am still behind in my work but hope to fix that this morning).







My course on women in history has lead to some really interesting thoughts on race (and how they were treated and how it made their fight for agency different) and I've been listening to the Ariel Gore book on how the data for happiness is gendered. While I'm not sure I agree with her (though it is definitely through a lens of privilege), her arguments are really interesting, and the questions she asked really got me thinking. And thinking energises me. More than exercise. But I have been exercising a lot this week, and walking a lot more too, so feeling pretty full of beans.

Over the last few weeks, I've had a lot of fun exploring the latest creation from the Les Enfants Terribles, an immersive theatre group. I had seen their spectacular Alice's Adventures Underground in the tunnels under Waterloo station, so I signed up with glee when I saw they were starting an online adventure for lockdown. Yesterday I got the email that level two would launch tomorrow (I'm guessing maybe Saturday here?). Have you Entered the Prism?

I discovered not one, but two new singers. Sister Rosetta Tharpe - the woman who inspired the likes of Bob Dylan and is actually seen as the inventor of Rock'n'Roll. A friend posted this article and I tracked her down on Spotify...there's a galaxy of what we don't know just waiting to be discovered.

The other came out of a discussion while watching Godfather of Harlem. My husband thought Leon Bridges was doing the vocals for Teddy Greene but in Rise, it's Samm Henshaw. This is him with Brasstracks but check out his full list on Spotify.



Thinking I was having a dull week, it's been pretty great and I'm enthused with my world and brimming with joy. And that, I think is loving life!

“Stay in awe of life. The little things are the big things. Awareness is a fundamental shift in personal identity and experiencing your world with joy.”
― Richie Norton



Linking with 
loopyloulaura



21 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Richie Norton quote, Lydia. Just the words I needed today.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you've had a big week! So much to learn. So much to see. So many hidden gems". And how interesting: "how the data for happiness is gendered. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of the quotes you've included here are a great reminder to me to be more mindful and I really needed to hear them right now. Hope you continue to have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way Lydia - my life would probably seem small to a lot of people, but it's full of lots of little things that enrich me and bring contentment - not a bad way to live IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That just exudes a lovin' life attitude Lydia and I'm so happy for you! Keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great post, and fine photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...Andy Warhol's is one to remember!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun song (yes, it's new to me, but I likes it)! Fun video too! Thanks for the introduction, and a fine post too! Thanks for playin' along with us & thanks for the introduction to these fun guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lydia,

    Appreciating where you are in this moment makes you love your life and everything around you. Unfortunately not everyone is at this point in their lives. They are too busy hating or being dissatisfied to realize how darn good they have it. Thanks for sharing the dance floor with the 4M crew, my friend. And, don't ever worry about sharing the mewsic that moves you. You were spot on for 'freebie week'. To give you the heads up if you're interested our theme will be 'songs played at sporting events'. Yep, that's going to be challenging. ;) Have a boogietastic week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun song (not familiar with this singer). I have to admit this - I grew up in New York City and recognized where this was filmed within seconds of the beginning. Then, seeing the beautiful mosaic work of the 86th St. subway station, and then seeing these people playing and eating out in midtown Manhattan - it makes me sad that many of us didn't know how good we had it. I hope we can get back to that place. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll just embrace what we get back with more enthusiasm than ever before. I went to a movie last night(first since they opened and a whole group of us went and it was so exciting - normally going to the cinema was what you did spur of the moment with nothing to do...ha!)

      Delete
  11. We certainly need to appreciate the little things right now! The monotony is starting to grate so we really need to focus on the positives. Thanks for linking up with #dreamteamlinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed that - thanks for the introduction! Love that you are appreciating where you are in this moment - like Cathy said, not everyone is at that point in their lives... hopefully they'll get there! ;) Hope you are having a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. To 'Stay in awe of life', that is a great mindset! Sounds like a really great week as well! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS, hope you come back again next time! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a busy week you’ve had. Definitely good to appreciate the little things.
    #kcacols

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to do some more exercise and listen to music more, thanks for the inspiration #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you definitely had a very busy week learning, discovering, listening and exercising. Very productive. I definitely agree with you that we should appreciate more the little things that makes us happy in life. I am so glad to hear your week was a success. Happy weekend! Thanks for sharing your week with us at #KCACOLS XX

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you have had a fun filled week and yes it is so important to appreciate the little things in life, sending love xx #mischiefandmemories

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always find that when I'm not looking for something, I find an abundance! Thanks for linking up with #MischiefAndMemories

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that sounded like a busy week! I love the quote at the end about the little things actually being the big things. Most definitely. It all depends on your view point. Thank you for joining us for #mischiefandmemories

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing with us on #MischiefAndMemories and 20 people altogether at the same time I think I would be overwhelmed at this stage :)

    ReplyDelete