Thursday 12 May 2022

What I learnt from Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Well, not a lot to be honest. But it did raise some questions.

No spoilers here (or in the comments please).

Credit:WikiCommons :Cdt PatrickCaughey
Courtesy of U.S.Army
What I learnt? Well, that the COVID lockdowns have really changed a lot in us. When Patrick Stewart appeared, instead of thinking of X-men or his Godot with Sir Ian McKellan or any other aspects of his huge acting history, what popped into my mind was his Sonnet a Day in lockdown and the lovely comfort it gave me. It meant so much having something enjoyable to look forward to each day in that first lockdown where it was all so endless and weird. I learnt that Patrick Stewart, in particular that soothing voice of his, is a bigger superhero than Professor X ever was.

As for the questions?

There is a line in the film "Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, doesn’t mean they’re lost forever". 

It got me thinking. Where do we go with this - if trust is a problem, or someone is battling addiction or some behaviour that is not a one off?  Ideally, I'm 100% yes, what a lovely sentiment (which was why I wrote it down) but as the film wore on, I kept thinking 'but what about if they'd...'. So I'm curious what other people think of this? Yes in an ideal world, and yes we should try to forgive and assume the best BUT...does that happen? (Interestingly, in Made for Love, one of the characters says ''There's no such thing as starting over. It's a fantasy. But there's moving forward." Are they expressing the same sentiment, just from different view points?

We went for Mother's Day in Lux and the middle child who hasn't been to a movie with us in over a year came and I was so happy. So when my husband complained about the film choice, I pointed out that our son came and so it was a great film! I learnt that the company and others' pleasure is sometimes half the pleasure of the experience. That and you can now get a Negroni at Lux so that helps. 

The thing with Marvel, I have so much affection for Stan Lee and the concepts, that I'm committed regardless.

Lastly, I would watch movies set in half those Multiverse, including the paint one, which would make for an awesome art installation where you sit in a room and it's projected on all the walls around you. Just throwing tha idea out there for someone...preferably make it happen in Sydney so I can go. 




11 comments:

  1. Great post Lydia and I'm going to check out Sonnets a Day if they are still available. I think the question has many layers and yes if someone stumbles it doesn't mean they are lost forever is true if it is just a 'stumble' but what if it is a huge fall off a cliff moment? I suppose we can't start again, although for me I say I'll get back on track, but I do like the idea of 'moving forward'. We can't change what has happened but we can try to move forward and come to terms with it. For our Mother's Day, my daughter and I ran the Mother's Day Classic which is our annual tradition of spending time together and remembering my Mum who died from breast cancer in 1986. Have a lovely week. #weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you had fun on Mother's Day. The trailer looks great. I haven't been to a movie theatre for a while. Thank you for linking up with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that Patrick Stewart did a sonnet a day through covid - I'll have to go check it out. We belatedly watched the latest Charlies Angels movie on Netflix and he was in it (he pops up all over the place!) and it brought back fond memories of Star Trek for me. Glad you enjoyed your MD's outing - nothing beats time with family. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I saw that one - might have to track down. Yes, my husband watches Star Trek but I never got into it...tho I do know Jean Luc Picard because of PS!

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen the movie yet! We are saving it for when things slow down in a couple of weeks.https://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2022/05/a-polish-easter.html-

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Just because someone stumbles and loses their way, doesn’t mean they’re lost forever". - What a great quote! I've not seen the movie yet, but I totally agree that sometimes, it really doesn't matter what you see, but who you go with :-) Thank you for joining us for the #DreamTeam x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quote, maybe not lost forever but you should be wary and support them so they have a smoother path? I love the Marvel films but wait until they are available on streaming services. Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't even aware of this movie but have now watched the trailer and it has my interest! I really love that quote and also I agree with you that if your son came along with you - it's a great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quote is brilliant Lydia (as others have said). Thanks for the recommendation and lovely that you had time with your daughter. The company and others' pleasure is sometimes half the pleasure of the experience - is another lovely sentiment. Beautifully expressed :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so glad to read you and the family went to the movies together! Big ticks!! Thank you for joining in this Monday’s #LifesStories on Denyse Whelan Blogs. The community of bloggers here connects us wherever we are in the world. Looking forward to seeing you in two week’s time on Monday 6 June. Winter in Southern Hemisphere & getting close to Summer in the Northern part of the world. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete