It's been a turbulent month for me, and while I've read a few chapters of the Ariel Gore I'm rereading, I've only read a comic start to finish.
I have listened to a lot of audio books, an indication of how much time in the car I've spent.
I saw an ad for this book on FB, and thought I'd check it out. I ended up listening to all three in the series. They are currently free on Audible for a limited time. It is the memoir of a man with a mother who was a hippy. A full blown hippy. As a mum, I was pretty shocked at the age she let her kids take drugs, at the attitude towards the sexualisation of her kids and the fact she could just dump them to fend for themselves as minors. While I am guessing these books come as a result of much therapy, I found it frustrating he could forgive her. I was furious on his behalf. Perhaps the fault is in me, not him, and I should say all power too him but I found his mother completely narcissistic and frankly awful. And yet she was never held accountable by any of the children. It was heartbreaking. So if you feel you fail as a parent, like I did by having to go and look after my mum in the middle of my kid's exams, know that there is someone so much worse than you....if you like memoirs, you won't be bored. It's one incredible thing after another.This was selected for the online blogger book club, I always like to read the book so that I get more from their podcast when I listen to it. (look here for other titles they've discussed). I had heard of Jerome K. Jerome but never read it. I thought it was hilarious. I loved the opening hypochondria (and know only too well what diseases you think you have if you jump on dr google...HA!). I found it amusing from start to finish. It's short and an easy read. A little touching towards the end, but for the most part, nutty and fun. I thought this was an excellent pick, as I really enjoyed the silliness of it and would never have read it without being prompted. Have a short story of his lined up next....
While looking for the Jerome K. Jerome title, I stumbled across this comic. His name is from the bumbling style of J.K.J and Bloch is from Psycho. I guess because of murder? Anyway, it's sweet - he's like Tintin but less competent and stumbles through solving mysteries with luck rather than great skill. I will read the others on Hoopla, but won't seek them out to buy - they aren't the greatest comic you ever read but they're a bit of fun. You can read them (not listen) though the hoopla app. Took about 50 minutes so perfect if waiting for a kids activity to finish.
This was in Borrowbox and I thought it looked interesting - it's short, only about 2 hours. It has Australian support group contacts and numbers. It covers not just mourning a death, but natural disasters, suicide and supporting children through death. I thought it was very practical and had some interesting ideas. It's a low investment (timewise and free through your library with access to Borrowbox) so worth checking out.
Two things I learnt:
The shock of bereavement affects the pituitary gland so you physically become immunosuppressed in grief. However, shedding tears of grief actually help as these tears contain healing and sedating properties…
and
Apparently 10 mins of sunshine on your eye lids can stop sadness turning to depression (in grief, not dismissing actual depression risk factors).
Short this month but hopefully back to normal with some actual page turning next time!









No comments:
Post a Comment