Tuesday, 18 August 2026

August Audio Books

 I read 4 books while I was away but since I got back three weeks ago, I've only listened to books, and finished one paperback title which I started while travelling.

That sort of makes me sad but it's where I'm at.

However, these should be available through your library borrowing (if in Australia).

From BorrowBox.


I did not really get into this book. I should have because I found the time period interesting, and the historical location. I also really liked there was a Japanese bomber as well as the Darwin locals, so you got two insights into the events. However, it's too long and I just didn't care by the end. Which I'm sorry to say as I know he's beloved and I really enjoyed Boy Swallows Universe, even though it's not my usual thing. So feel free to correct me.






I really enjoyed this book. I devoured it in 2 days. I know there's been a lot of complaints about this title, and on twitter there was a thread about it being the most overhyped book and biggest let down. I found it the other way around, but I hadn't really heard anything about it except it was about the Insta trad wife craze. I don't follow any of those, and one complaint was that she was so unlikeable, but I thought we were meant to think that, so I found her character funny (laughing at her, not with her) and hypercritical from the start, but I felt that was what we were meant to feel about her. So when she talked about the Angry women, I laughed that I was one of them, and that was how we are viewed. As for implausibility, I read the Shari Franke book, having known nothing about 8 Passengers and that book was unfathomable and yet real. It was completely incomprehensible so I didn't think this was over the top at all. It does perplex me that this trad wife promotion is popular, so I thought it was an interesting insight into the hypocrisy and potential damage of it all - very different to a stay at home mum, please note. I'm not casting shade there. I didn't see what was coming, and it's an easy, fun read.

From Libby.


I picked this book for the title - as my feet are also my focus with age. It's written by the writer of The Dressmaker and covers both ageing  and some Hollywood adventures. I enjoyed it but I did at times find it a little depressing. We all age at different rates but as things slow down I lament the fun that will evaporate. I have one crew that love festivals and dancing, but most of my friends do not. With my mum at the moment, her talk of her husband's decline and care was really depressing for me. She covers a lot so I'm pretty sure there's something for everyone in it.



I thought I already wrote a review on this but I can't find it so sorry if I'm repeating myself. He is a very good writer, and at times the work is heavy to process. This is a memoir style, and a flawed human is looking back on moments they feel are significant in some way - but as we humans do, they aren't necessarily what we traditionally call milestones. It jumps around, as our thoughts do. It dresses up others actions and intentions. I spent quite a bit of the book feeling unease (in reviews it is often described as haunting, and I can't argue with that). It's an old man (a character, not Banville himself) writing down his thoughts. It won the Booker Prize in 2005. I enjoyed this a lot but it's not an easy read - I can't really explain why. I had to concentrate a lot more than I usually do for audio books. I think reading this book would be better. (If you do read it, this is quite an interesting discussion - but don't listen to it before, as there are detailed spoilers). My review of Banville's Snow is here. 

Linking with #TalkaboutitTuesday & #TuesdayTwirl

No comments:

Post a Comment