Monday 17 March 2014

Electrifying (Electric part 2)

A few weeks ago, I had to review an electric bike tour, and then started to freak out about it. (Unnecessary but original post here). I was scared on arrival, especially signing the waiver, but as soon as I got on the bike, I was fine. In fact I LOVED it.
(Review for those interested here, as this post is on fun and fear).

All the way in, I kept hoping the potential pending rain would call it off, but there was no getting out of it. Had I not been forced to write the review, and had a friend meeting me, I would have feigned illness and cancelled. Sometimes I have to stack the deck so I force myself into things....I'm quite a chicken.




One of my fears was that I'd get burnt by the engine, as I'm clumsy and uncoordinated. However, the engine is tiny, and in the wheel so there's no chance of burns, as I imagined.







I was scared of crashing or being hit by a car, yet we were rarely on the roads and the guides watched for safety. Other than a near miss of running up the back of my friend, when she suddenly stopped, it was all smooth sailing.

By the time we hit Barangaroo*, I was keen to test out the bike at speed (the engine kicks in on it's own accord as soon as you start pedalling too much). It was so much fun, tearing around that strip without pedestrians to worry about. Getting the speed up was exhilarating.

The engine also made riding up Observatory Hill a breeze, even for an old, unfit lady like me.

 
All in all, I felt very energetic, like I'd exercised for two hours (when really I'd just enjoyed fresh air, as the engine takes all the exercise out of the cycling).





The highlight? Riding around the back of the Opera House. We had it more or less to ourselves, and it really felt special, looping around that great monument with the beautiful views of our wonderful harbour. They have special permits, so don't just lob up on your own bike!!





I'm proud that I pushed myself into something I was scared of, and as a result, I really enjoyed it. I have to work hard on not letting my fears restrict me. With age, most limitations are self imposed. At least for me. As Dave Allen used to say 'There is nothing to fear but fear itself'**. It will be a sad day when I let my fears get the better of me. I know that day will come but I'll keep working on it while I can.


Linking up with #BlueMonday for the helmets



*We didn't start the fire...(do you have an earworm now?)
**Apparently FDR made this famous, paraphrasing Sir Francis Bacon, but for me, it will always be the Irish Comedian, sitting on the stool, smoking, before launching into a story of how he lost his finger...

13 comments:

  1. That looks like fun! What a great little adventure.
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Yes I do have an earworm now and I am still laughing about you saying you burnt water in another post I read today. Good on you for getting out of your comfort zone. Looks like it was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great wee trip that was, and the sightseeing highlights, it's a great idea for those older tourists, not that you're old (stop digging hole Emily) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I can imagine myself getting roped into something that special. Well done. And also? Thanks for the Dave Allen flashback! I'd forgotten all about him and his show on ABC we used to watch. "Catherine!" "Heathcliff!"..."Catherine!""Heathcliff!" Bahaha! #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten that skit - I love that someone else knows him....

      Delete
  5. Haha, I do have an ear worm now, thanks a lot!!

    Sounds like heaps of fun, think I'll go read the original review post now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia, I was the same not long ago. We had the opportunity to do the Segway tour at Currumbin Sanctuary, and I was hoping it would rain all the way there! After I'd been on it for about 10 seconds I didn't want to get off, and told John we really should invest in one for riding along the beachfront.
    Good on you for getting out there, and thank goodness we're shoved out of our comfort zone sometimes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a great activity, well done for facing your fears x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not know where my comment just went, but I did say that you and I are alike when it comes to fears and wishing that we didn't say yes when it comes to it.
    Oh and we have good taste in music, thank you for the ear worm, it was appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fear affects all of us and it's amazing how awesome we feel once our fears are faced and overcome. I'd love to do a bike tour like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like awesome fun! I rode a bike for the first time in years a couple of years ago and it was interesting seeing my fear coming into play. Especially because I was riding with my brother who had no fear at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know they did that! I'd give it a go (I've recently tried riding my bike again and I just don't have the puff anymore). BTW, I loved Dave Allen, he was such a wise man (and helped form my sick humour).

    ReplyDelete