Tuesday 19 August 2014

Come and get your happiness

Was very busy this weekend , so for #NaturesNotes  I'm linking this old post as the photos are full of nature at it's best! Focus on simple joys. Stay safe and be happy. See you next week.



I'm currently getting a lot of happiness from this song:


which is on constant rotation in the car since the CD turned up last week - play while reading (sorry no clip - if you want to watch more of the magnificence of the incredibly cool Alice Francis, try this one, which I'd already overplayed on iTunes before the disc turned up in the post - and I'm old, I like CDs - leave me alone!).

In an online group I'm in, someone posed the question what does it mean to "live life to the fullest"? They elaborated that they had 'spent the past few years trying to live life to the fullest, but sometimes real life gets in the way.' My response then, I share today (and look at me, quoting myself!) "It's not big, it's small. It's making the most of as many moments as you can. Chase the dreams, see what you can of the world, do what you enjoy but also treasure those around you who bring you happiness. Treasure the sunny day and the flowers, all of it. You can travel the globe but not really see it. So I guess I'm saying live life to the fullest, but the secret is actually in enjoying 'real life'. Think hard about what you want to see and do, and set about making them happen." The real secret to happiness is its achievability. Always remember there is no weighted value on what makes you happy. If buying a book brings you happiness and so does buying a house, the state of happiness is the same. If seeing a movie makes you happy and so does visiting Paris, then their value to you is the same. The intellectual idea of one may carry more importance than the other, but the happiness they bring is interchangeable. That is the lesson often missed.




I get happiness from the fact that I just have to see a movie poster and get a flutter of excitement at the pending enjoyment of seeing the film.

I love that despite living in this harbour city for my 107 years, I still am elated by the beauty of the harbour on a sunny day.






I am happy that while I am failing in my current job search, it has allowed me to stay home stress free with a sick child for 2 days running.


I am happy at the thought that soon I will be booking and planning my dream holiday to see lava fall into the ocean on Big Island. I am even more excited that I will hopefully actually see lava fall into the ocean in my lifetime. (2020 edit. This happened but we didn't see the lava fall into the ocean. So that's still on my list, but clearly not for awhile...)

I love that social media has allowed me access to smart and intelligent people that broaden my world view and make me think, and that I see pictures from far flung places (currently following those on the #MongolRally and seeing a great adventure unfold in countries I will never get to).



The world is truly an amazing place, and I am happy to be part of it. To borrow from the genius of Kurt Vonnegut "If this isn't happiness, I don't know what is"


PS All those photos make me smile - they were all taken when happy, at moments when I paused to think how lucky I was to see such beauty.


34 comments:

  1. This post is perfect. You have shared such an important lesson here and I hope that everyone reads this.
    "The intellectual idea of one may carry more importance than the other, but the happiness they bring is interchangeable. That is the lesson often missed."
    This is something that we all need to better understand so to appreciate our happiness. To pause and enjoy it.
    Thank you so much for sharing this with #thankfulthursday. xS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm often happier with the simple things like sitting at home with a good book than going out thrill seeking. But sometimes I do get caught up in the idea that I *should* be doing something Earth shatteringly exciting with my life just because it seem to be expected. So yeah, I love this. Well said. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Ness. I've come to realize that I don't necessarily need to be chasing a grand purpose in life or some amazing adventure. My purpose may be simply to bring joy to myself and others...to bring a little kindness to those I come in contact with...to appreciate the simple joys in life. An occasional adventure or grand gesture to mix things up--fine--but very few of us live the totality of our lives in that manner. And it isn't necessary in order to have worth or be happy.

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written and expressed. Music makes me come alive too... sound heals in many forms from songs and their lyrics, to birds warbling and rain falling on a tin roof. Love your images too ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool song!! Will be playing it for the kids later.
    I love to reflect sometimes and should do it more often.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! That's a cool song.
    Also a cool post.
    Yep, simplicity is key.
    Wanting what you already have, rather than always having to have what you want.
    Leanne @ Deep Fried Fruit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very wise words. You are so right. I make a conscious effort of seeking happiness in the simple things of life. There is so much beauty around us, we just need to look a little harder to find it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so lovely!
    I try to remember these smaller things too. The everyday is definitely our journey and enjoyment just as much as those big 'special' things.
    Thanks for the positive thoughts to carry me through the day (and hopefully beyond).

    ReplyDelete
  8. they're such beautiful pictures! you're right, it's important to enjoy the "real life" to get the most out of life. we can plan and plan and plan for the best, but it may never happen and life as it happens is just slipping away. living in the moment is so very important!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very important for me - to live my life to the fullest today after 2 cancer diagnoses and treatment in < 2yrs.
    I really like what you say about the weight of experience - "The real secret is that happiness is its achievability. Always remember there is no weighted value on what makes you happy. "
    Thank you and your images are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this way of looking at it. Often we see happiness as the big stuff, but the little things are equally as joyful. It puts 'live life to the fullest' in a different light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew when I read the title of this post I'd leave it with a smile on my face. You're an insightful lady Lydia. And to Trish above me... you are an amazing lady. I agree with every single thing you said Lydia. Anticipation of a happy event is almost as good and sometimes better than the event!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this perspective. I think it's also important to remember that the things that we see as small are actually massive to other people.

    Thanks for linking up with us at The Lounge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with this post. People think it is the big things that will make them happy but you are right it is all about the small things every day and making the most of life as it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in total agreeance. I am always made happy by stopping and taking a closer look at the things I take for granted everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your thoughts. Living life to the fullest is about actually living it, all of it, whether it is the daily grind or the holidays, the fun and the mundane and if watching the sunrise, cuddling with a partner, watching a movie, seeing a plant you grew bloom, knowledge that your house is clean (you have a roof over your head) and that food is on the table brings happiness and is fulfilling then that is living life to the fullest. What makes each person's life full is different. Slowing down and enjoying nature brings me happiness when life isn't shining so much.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all your happy moments, and I agree with social media and the internet, it really has changed my life a lot. If we can find happiness in small things then big changes will happen I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wise words. It is a real wonder why we think that only big stuff can make us happy. My 2 boys and I are sitting on the couch right now huddled under the same blanket. They're safe, healthy and warm. I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post. I've had some wise words thrown at me recently that has made me stop in my tracks and take a huge step back. It really is the simple and little things (including my family) that make me happy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  19. NOOOOO It ate my comment!!!??? Recap: Wonderful words of wisdom! I love those moments, fleeting as they may be, where just the sunshine on your face and the blue in the sky make you feel content. Oh to bottle them up for the "other days" xo Aroha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely it's all about enjoying the journey not just the destination!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is all about the little things. If you can find the happiness in the every day, you can achieve much greater happiness and contentment for the big things too x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Blogging has TOTALLY changed my life, I have been connected with so many different people with great ideas that challenge me, you being one! You make me think about lots of things. This is almost the same comment I made last year but it's all true!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very appropriate post for these times Lydia, thanks for sharing for #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lydia - you are so right about the value we place on things that make us happy. I'm finding more and more that it's the small things that are the most joyful - less expectations attached to them, and they remind me how good my life actually is. There's so much I'm grateful for as we ride out this pandemic - home being a haven is a big one for me.
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM 😊

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Lydia. This post is spot-on and exactly what many of us need right now, especially those who have had to postpone and cancel activities they were looking forward to, which they anticipated would make them happy. I am grateful that you chose to quote yourself, since I missed those words the first time around, and they describe beautifully the nature of living life to its fullest. "Life" cannot get in the way of living life. It can sometimes get in the way of how we think things should be. But it's those everyday things that make up our lives. And as you so artfully pointed out, we shouldn't downplay the small joys, just because they are small. Thanks again for the reminder. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Important to look at the positives and the brighter side of our lives. Because everything in this world is not in our control. So the least we can do take charge of ourselves.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Lydia thanks for an uplifting positive post which we can all do with right now. Like you music fills my soul and always makes me feel better. I've just walked out onto my balcony and watched the waves rolling in. The sun is shining, life is going on and I'm feel at peace despite the chaos in the world. Thank you for sharing your thoughts at #MLSTL and take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. A really upbeat song, Lydia. A lot of wisdom in your words! I love it, quoting yourself made me smile. I am thinking how your future self appreciates your past self. Thank you for being one of the smart, intelligent people! All of the photos make me smile, too. Take care. #MLSTL and sharing SM

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am pleased that you linked "DND" to Nature Thursday.
    But you should, as with every challenge, use a real link.
    Please make up for that.
    Thank you very much for that.
    best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed now - for some reason it didn't want to save?? No idea why - I had done it this morning but didn't realise it didn't save. Just needed to do it three times before it worked. My virus software has decided it doesn't like a lot of sites. It's all gone a bit strange. Sorry! And thanks

      Delete
  30. Lovely thoughtful post....I am on Facebook....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes, this world is a source of great happiness. I'm going to miss it when I drift away...

    ReplyDelete