Tuesday 25 February 2020

Some days you just feel your age....

I was writing a card to my niece's baby, a little six month old, and I signed off, "Your" and then it dawned on me, the words that followed were "Great Aunt." It hit me hard. How did I get THAT old? A great aunt? I finished with a PS. "Let us never speak these words again!"  It really threw me. Frankly I blame literature for the bad rap Great Aunts get. It you are writing a novel, especially a children's book, make the Great Aunt youthful and vibrant please, so as not to pass this word association on to future generations...

Later in the week, I went to a concert and the female singer was very cool and hopping and dancing energetically with wild abandon. I realised a few songs in that she had a moonboot on, and it was later confirmed she did indeed have a broken foot. So apparently young yet injured people still look cool and dance better than I do.

On the flip side, I went to a party and spent most of the night on the dance floor with the 60 somethings that got the dancing started. The oldest people there were also the most enthusiastic. They liked the current music as much as the old music and it gave me hope that there are plenty of us out there. Those still engaged in life and the pursuit of fun.

While I may be old in appearance and by definition, I'm still young enough to revel in the fun of life. For the young people out there, always be kind. We don't like to be reminded of how old we actually are. We know, but it's just so easy to forget.

“Never dismiss old people having fun; you will be one of them eventually if you're lucky.”
― Carmine Savastano

10 comments:

  1. Lydia old age really seems to creep up and before you know it, you’re in you’re 60s and heading to 70. I often ask myself how that happened. And how could my oldest child possibly be 45? My friends and I also live a night out dancing and are always on the floor first #MLSTL Will share

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your attitude Lydia! My sister-in-law has given herself the name of GAC (Great Aunty Carol) for her great nieces and nephews and we all now just call her GAC. No-one needs to know what it actually stands for but she likes the cool sound of it!! My sister is now called GAS for the same reason :) We've started a trend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only good thing is you can say "Who's a great aunt?" and they can truthfully reply "You are!" Ha!

      Delete
  3. When I became a great aunt I also had the same "moment" where I felt like a character from a Dickens novel. Then I decided that the "great" was "GREAT!!" as in 'what a GREAT aunt I am - I'm rocking this!' From there on I just make sure I emphasise the GREAT and it works for me! Now I just need to lift my dancing game :)
    Thanks for linking up with us at MLSTL and I've shared on my SM 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do personally blame Dickens, however thought I should publically share that blame around...hehehe ;)

      Delete
  4. I've mentioned before how I love your attitude, but I love that end quote even more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm at the stage where I don't tell any one my age in work, because it's amazing how attitudes change when they're hit with a number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting thought. I need to think about that a little more. Pretty sure there's a post in that...

      Delete
  6. I love this Lydia and yes sometimes it is hard to believe I'm actually 63 this year and a grandmother. You made me smile when you wrote PS. "Let us never speak these words again!" Thanks for sharing at #MLSTL and that last quote is spot on. I'm sharing on SM. Have a great week. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, dear Lydia...you are so not old. I do, however understand when the shock of a new name is given to you. I loved being Grandma for the first time and, ahem, I was younger than you are now. Denyse #mlstl

    ReplyDelete