Sunday 23 February 2020

"There is only one better thing than music - live music". Jacek Andrzej Bukowski


I was talking to friends of my husband who had started, in their late 50's, to go to live music regularly. Not the big stadium concerts but the small gigs in the dive bars. As someone who had taken up the same almost as therapy when my father was dying, I asked him if he'd gone a lot in his youth and got back to it, or if it was a new pleasure. While he had done the big name gigs when young, this was a new breed of concert going. 

Like me.




Also like me, he agreed that no matter what your mood was when you went in (he's dealing with a terminal illness), you always came out feeling happy.  I explained my theory about the energy. There is an exchange of energy between you and the performer, of course, but you also feed off the energy of the crowd. In a good audience, you get swept away on the joyful emotion. Add to that some endorphins from dancing and you come out a changed person.

Whether I'm completely sober or had a few drinks, I still leave with an injection of euphoria that lasts well into the next day, if the band is good. Last night was Parov Stelar and they were excellent! Even with a singer with a broken foot in a moonboot, both the band and the crowd was jumping and dancing and high on the experience. (They still have dates in Melbourne and Adelaide - and Noumea - so if you can get there, do! You'll love it).

Making us with old knees work hard....

“Music has always been a matter of Energy to me, a question of Fuel. Sentimental people call it Inspiration, but what they really mean is Fuel. I have always needed Fuel." Hunter S. Thompson

Linking with #ThruMyLens. Linking this old post because it was written just before all the live music got taken away - in fact the band returned to Europe and went straight into lockdown. How weird the world shifted. 

20 comments:

  1. I don't think I could survive without music, but the days of big venues may be behind me. One more thing to love about a dive bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't like the hassle of big venues, and you have to pay a lot of money to be up the front...

      Delete
  2. ...live music is indeed special, we been to to two concerts recently and enjoyed them a lot. My pictures leave a bit to be desired. These are great, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I blame the phone, frankly. I always spend a bit of time looking at how much better everyone's phone camera is, when they hold it up infront of me and have a far superior shot than I do...

      Delete
  3. Looked brilliant I am very jealous Lydia heheh!

    Have a tanfasticaltastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ny husband and I are fortunate as the beautiful venue in Colorado, Red Rocks Amphitheater is located just down the road from where we live so we have enjoyed many concerts there! We do enjoy live music of many varieties, including opera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Opera too but so $$. I do splurge for the Opera on the Harbour tho...stay tuned for photos of that. It's always so beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Everything about this post is so cool! I've seen this video once before, don't remember where, but I do remember it because it is sooooooo cool! Girlfriend you have rocked the house. My husband plays lead guitar in his own band and I use to play keys, but then had back surgery & that's the end of that story, but yes live music is the very best especially when you're the one playing. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a good chance I posted it for your link up before. I just love that song!

      Delete
  6. Lydai,

    I agree mewsic is a great therapy no matter what the circumstances are in one's life. I'm glad you and your dad had this time together sharing something you both loved. However, I'm not a concert goer. I tend to stir clear of excessively loud environments because of my hearing loss which I don't want to damage my ears further. Thanks for sharing this new-to-me song and for hitting the 4M dance floor with us this week, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear earplugs now that I learnt 1 billion people on the planet are getting hearing loss, mainly from Festivals.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will delete your ads put in comments so don't bother. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy outdoor concerts in smaller venues - no assigned seating so you can adjust yourself and not get your ears blasted off. We also have an annual musical event here called Porchfest where local musicians play on people's porches - you come and go and it's all free. I've heard some amazing music that way. Oh, and that Sven Otten has some nice moves! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed about live music, Lydia. My love is the classics so whenever I can I go to a concert, a ballet or an opera. When in Sydney I often end up high up with the gods buying a last minute $10 ticket in the opera house and although the stage view may be limited, the music is still glorious.
    Thank you for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Live music really is the best for sure! :) Thanks for the introduction to Sven Otten - I agree with Alana, he sure has some nice moves! ;) Thanks for the dance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this on your blog! It is very helpful for my insight! Please update more posts about this. Would love to see more updates from you.

    Melbourne Entertainment Venues

    ReplyDelete