Saturday 1 February 2020

Svalbard - Share my Snaps!

Not quite ready to come back, but couldn't miss Denyse's prompt of #ShareMySnaps. So the first window into our Norwegian adventure is a glimpse of Svalbard, 1000 kms from the North Pole, and where we were attacked by a polar bear, the story making the tv news on the mainland and local print news (and online, obvs) but more on that to come....







Entrance to Mary-Ann's Polar Rigg





This tiny outpost is fascinating, and already affected by climate change, resulting in buildings having to be moved and rebuilt with different materials, some of the wild flowers have already begun to adapt (altering physically) and of course, the government spending billions to secure the World Seed Vault after it began to leak due to the now much wetter weather.



Strange glow in the Polar Night



This was our last glimpse of sunlight for a few days as we entered 24 hour darkness of the Polar Night.

The beautiful Simon, one of the many brave dogs that took on the Polar Bear while we were on the sled adventure.





For those that missed it, we ended up in the far, far north due to my poor map reading abilities as detailed here, but it did end up being the highlight of the trip and an unforgettable experience for so many reasons.

The Polar Bear story is now here.


Linking with #TimelessThursdays as I'd love to go back during light hours and see the walruses (and maybe only see the polar bears from a safe distance!)
Taken after breakfast on the way back to the room

29 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place to visit, I bet it was an adventure, I wouldn't be ready to come back either #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome almost back. I've been enjoying your travels on Insta & looking forward to reading more about the polar bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to get that all down into something...

      Delete
  3. I've barely seen snow so love the idea of your trip - and have been following from afar. I've never really thought of visiting the nordic countries but know a blogger in Finland and am currently hearing so much about the politics and advances there it's tempting to put it on my bucket list. As a Qlder I can't even imagine so much snow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home! Surely you're not just going to drop in the bit about the polar bear and then leave it there?! The suspense is killing me. Thank goodness for Simon! I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great trip you've had and these photos are a fab insight into lots more adventures I'm sure you'll be sharing with us. Thanks for the insight. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome almost back from me too, Lydia! Know the feeling of not quite being ready but we have to start somewhere and what a great start here with these Svalbard photos!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great adventure. I have been to Norway but not that part. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure! I have never been to Norway but you make it look so appealing. Except the scary polar bear part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wanted to go to Svalbard to see the bears and the birds. Not to mention the Northern Light. But I never got here yet.

    Murder Mile is so named because of the many road accidents along there. Should be named "Suicide Staright".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow up! So funny how these names come about...

      Delete
  10. thanks for telling us about your great adventure

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fab adventure and thanks for the tour :-)

    I have enjoyed the photos

    Have snaptastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for bringing us along on a virtual tour and for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/02/cinnamon-apple-pull-apart-bread.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seems quite sureal having nigh on 24 hour darkness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very strange, and yet amazing how quickly you get used to it. Don't think I'd like the 24 hours daylight. But who knows?

      Delete
  14. Wow it sounds like a real adventure. I often find when things go slightly off plan, you end up having the best time! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great trip! Love the photos.

    Happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! A polar bear attack? You can't leave us hanging like that!!! This looks like a fantastic experience! Your photos are awesome, especially that last peek of light :)

    I'm so glad to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sometimes the best places to visit are the ones we discover by accident. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  18. You do have the adventures...and of course get to write about them too. 24 hours of dark...wow. I would find that a challenge. However, it is all part of life's rich experiences. Thank you for linking up for Life This Week #174. Next week's optional prompt is 6/51 Interesting 10.2.2020. Hope to see you again there too. Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I am cold from just looking at your post. Love the polor bear artwork.
    http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an adventure! I've been dreaming about snow lately (it's so hot and humid here) and this certainly won't help putting a stop to that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such an amazing adventure I would love to go to Svalbard although not sure I would want a close encounter with a Polar Bear. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great shots, Lydia. A wonderful trip, which I'd like to do also!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loving all the snow shots. Not liking the sound of the polar bear encounter! Eeek. #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, sounds like your poor map reading skills really paid off in an amazing adventure. Hope to hear more.

    ReplyDelete