Wednesday 1 April 2020

Self Care under Covid19

I started writing a self-care post awhile back but a lot of it is rendered obsolete. I want to say up front that I am not a doctor, and any mood depression for more than a day, while understandable, probably needs to be acted on ASAP in these times. Seek professional help where possible. This post is self-care for people who are in a good frame of mind, to keep them there.

It is a fact that smell is one of the senses that brings a sense of wellbeing (it's not a fact, I just made that up but it sounds right so let's go with it). Now is the time, if you can afford it, to spend extra bucks on the shower gel, conditioner and laundry detergent you like. The ones that remind you of a holiday, the one that make you feel pampered, the one that makes you smile when you sniff the dry towel as you take it off the line. These are small moments but they happen throughout the day so you'll get an instant hit of happiness.

Now is also probably the time to invest in fancy soap given you'll wash your hands more times a day than when you had a new born. Also nice smelling hand cream. I managed to get a lavender hand sanitiser and compared to the others, it feels like a luxury (because the smell envelopes me in a sense of wellbeing).


Go through the cupboard and dig out any fancy lotions you were given that never got round to using, or start going through all the hotel bottles you pilfered over the years. The memory trigger of where you got them might be enough to start your day with a smile.

Carve out some time for you. It can be first thing in the morning to write, before everyone gets up. Or a lunch break in the middle of the day where you listen to a lecture. I signed up to a University short course on literature, and you listen and answer questions in a group chat. It's an hour but I felt so elated after the first one. Intellectually engaged, talking about something other than the virus or the impacts. There are plenty of free courses and talks so make use of those.

Work on making yourself feel good. Exercise and healthy eating are a must, as they help your physiology (again, not a doctor & this alone won't cure depression but it will help maintain happy mood levels). May not have used the word physiology correctly.


If you are finding concentrating too hard to read, try audio books when you cook. The escape into another world is a welcome break, and the focus of your thoughts actually works to relieve stress, just like meditation would. It shuts out the noise in your head, which I suspect some days will get loud and heavy for us as time passes.

I am playing music in the shower on my phone (still a navy shower - we can't forget the drought, people!) and I am doing 30 mins of exercise daily with YouTube to music. If there's an exercise I think will hurt my back, I just dance through it. I do it before my shower each morning and the energy burst and happiness of the music is really starting my day right.

Organise Zoom catch ups with groups of friends. It gives you something to look forward to at the end of the day and helps you feel less isolated. Look also at what's on. There's now trivia nights you can sign up to, streamed stand up and a myriad of other things. If you can't go out, still find a way to enjoy what you used to enjoy. Or find something new...


You can't fix the big picture, but little by little you can make it easier and more enjoyable.

Linking with #FriendshipFriday 
As stated, now is the time to act quickly if mood is slipping. Don't waste time struggling. Now is not the time to muck around. If you can't afford to talk to a psyche, call a friend or here are some numbers:
Kids Helpline (for anyone under 25) 1800 55 1800 - there's also a webchat.
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636
Black Dog Institute has Covid19 specific resources on their website https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/
I would recommend talking to your GP ASAP regardless. Most GPs are now doing phone consults for non physical ailments.


33 comments:

  1. Great post! I have been having trouble reading lately--very odd for me as I usually love my books. I'll try listening to audible as see how that works out--thanks you for suggesting that! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were lucky enough to get a geriatric psych appointment for my mother at the start of this and I have a few extra meds in case she needs them, but I think they are loosening restrictions to see mental health providers.
    I'm a big believer in aroma therapy, unfortunately the best smells to me are food and I'm on a diet (: My go to scent other than pasta sauce is lavender which also smells like luxury to me too.
    I've never used Zoom, I hear it's easy to hack, but then again I'm not really stuck at home although I'd love to be.
    I think blogging helps as I find myself doing more these days. Maybe we can organize a Blogger Buddies Zoom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.
    I have been able to keep "busy" finishing my co-op work term working from home and trying to keep my kids entertained.
    #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many good ideas - I'm going to go and dig out my stash of hotel luxury amenities and pretend I'm on holiday. We've had face time drinks with friends, I've done zoom training classes with my trainer and I've found a big jigsaw puzzle a surprisingly rewarding distraction! I think it's all about finding joy in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas Lydia! Even though we are going through difficult times we can find positives in each day. Simple ideas like using a lovely body lotion can make us feel special. For me, I'm making the most of my time with self-development by taking online courses, self-reflection on what changes I would like to make in my life going forward. Stay well x #lifethisweek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think many of us are getting used to the new normal and beginning to find positives when there was only annoyances. For me it's my daily walks, sunrises, and I'm discovering new podcasts & audio books. I'm also loving my stash of Aesop & L'Occitane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Aesop. I only have some cos I was given it. Too $$ but worth every cent. Or should that be scent. Boomtish!

      Delete
  7. Very good ideas here, Lydia. Positive thinking and actions will get us through this pandemic and its negative impact. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Zoom catch-ups are a great idea. I had virtual zoom drinks one day and then had a larger family zoom catch-up the other day when teaching my mum how to use it for church.

    And I think it's definitely a time to pull out the big guns. I had some nice Chanel No.5 bath stuff I was saving 'for good' but... what the hell, I've been bathing in it nightly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the attitude! I was thinking about that the other day - there's really no point in 'for good'. It's for now. Because why not? (I think that's the same thing I refered to the other days with the Russians. Our mentality might be quite changed on the other side of this).

      Delete
  9. My husband lost his job so we're waiting for unemployment benefits to come. Otherwise Netflix and Red Tulip chocolate eggs are filling our time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry.I hope the process is quicker than expected. And I hope your husband is coping with all the emotional side as well as the stress of it. I'm hoping things change as rapidly as they appear to be elsewhere. Good luck and eat those chocolates!!

      Delete
  10. Great ideas, Lydia! I've drawn so much inspiration from my friends in the blogging world.

    Thank you.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great tips. I really need to work out how to use Zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these ideas! I was just perusing the bathroom cabinet last night to find some fancy lotions. Zoom has been great fun so far! #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas which most of us would otherwise overlook #globalblogging@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such good ideas thank you Lydia, we are zooming so much these days and it's been a great way to stay in touch. It's funny how concentration levels can be affected at times like this. I find I'm super easily distracted these days. Take care #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such good self-care suggestions! I love the encouragement to indulge in fancy smelling soaps and shower gels. It can make a shower or bath a bright spot in anyone's day and it's such a simple thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Any tips that helps us relax at this time are so useful. I have been making sure I have time for actual baths and have pulled out all my Christmas gifts and candles. Let's hope it passes quickly. Take care #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tips! Visiting you from the global blogging link up. laurensparks.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great tips. Such a useful reminder that our health is far more than just physical and what we eat, particularly with today being world health day. Thanks for linking up with #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm finding playing music a big help. I play it during my morning run and while I'm cooking #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is perfect, Lydia! Even in challenging times, we can experience small joys. In fact, it becomes more important than ever to do so. These next few months aren't something to get through, they are a part of our lives to live and experience. Music is a big thing for me, and I have been putting good smelling essential oils in my diffuser. I also enjoy reading or watching a good movie when I need to escape for a little while. I would say take care of yourself, but it sounds like you are! #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such great tips. Thanks for sharing them. Very nice. #MLSTL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some timely tips Lydia - I'm finding that my life isn't really all that different atm - I was home a lot anyway and we live a fairly simple and uncluttered life (no hotel samples in my cupboards...) But it's a good reminder to keep an eye on our mental health, to find online ways to cope with the lockdown - and to still enjoy life while we're in this holding period. Life is still pretty darn good if we focus on the positives.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Some great tips. Totally agree with the 'not letting it slip too much' tip. And healthy eating and exercise are really a must right now! #KCACOLS

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great to see the range of ideas here and I know that I have been both comfort cooking and eating but only in a moderate/minimal way because my mouth can't handle it. Would like to get more motivated to walk around the block again but for now, some gardening therapy is helping. Love the idea of use the nice stuff! Smell is a great memory evoker. Denyse #mlstl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up for Life This Week. Next week's optional prompt is 15/51 Share Your Snaps #3 13.4.2020 Happy Easter. Stay Safe. Stay Home. Stay Well. Denyse.

      Delete
  25. Self care is so important right now and this is a brilliant chance to reassess our priorities. We are trying to keep things as normal as possible but mostly enjoying time together as a family and doing the things we enjoy most. Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some really lovely self care ideas. It's very important to look after ourselves right now, to help us cope with what's going on. Thanks for linking up to #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have had a chance to reconnect with the kids and do lots of cooking with them, hopefully to inspire them for later life. Fun together as well as some alone time can help contribute to a feeling of wellbeing. Thanks for linking up with #dreamteamlinky

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been enjoying more music and singing together which has really lifted our spirits. Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete