Friday 8 May 2020

The Start of Things to Come...


I had noticed one or two cafes closed for good, just as I was driving past, so it didn't personally hit me, I just felt sad for everyone. Everyone who is limping along, hoping their business can survive.

I had ordered some food from Two Good Co and was picking it up the day CarriageWorks announced Voluntary Administration. This hit me hard. I was there quite regularly for art exhibitions and talks or concerts. It's a venue I love.




We are beginning to reopen but we haven't seen the end of these types of collapses and closures. Will the restaurants survive with their limited patronage (Covid-allowed regulations)? Will the venues be able to continue with music and art? Can a theatre operate in a cost covering way while keeping the patrons safe?

I was mourning everything when it shut for lockdown, but now I'm mourning again as I realise we don't quite get back all that we lost.

I hope for everyone the flurry of activity brings the necessary returns to survive.



To not leave on a downer, we went out to dinner (to a house in the next suburb!) and I got dressed up in heels and make up and even though I drove to minimise infection risk (so didn't drink), I felt so elated the next day! It felt SO different and new and exciting to be out and somewhere different. I could bottle that feeling. It was the burst of happiness I really needed.  It carried me well into the next day. So there are definitely good times ahead. We just need to make sure we don't get locked down again.

Don't get careless. Stay safe and socially distanced (and remember the app doesn't work properly on iPhone so don't rely on that. Keep up to date with CasesNearMe.Com and keep sanitising when out and washing your hands where possible. Get tested if you think you have been in contact with a possible COVID case- even with out symptoms. Let's beat this thing and surge forward.

If you love the arts, or love Carriageworks, here is the petition to save it.

Linking with #TravelTuesday #MCoW  #WWOT #ThruMyLens #OurWorldTuesday



10 comments:

  1. Things are and will be very different for a very long time. It's difficult to think forward not knowing what is coming. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have been really positive but this hit me hard - that the things we love haven't even started to disappear for real yet...

      Delete
  2. It is very sad to see the demise of so many places that served us well. Please stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's important to find ways to break out of our daily routines. Sounds like your dinner out was good "medicine" for you. My recent hike definitely cheered me up and made the days of isolation more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww so sad! "Remember me" and closed for good? So very sad! Good luck to all. I hope all their endeavors from now on work for them & they do even better next time. So very sad indeed. Thank you for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great colorwork here. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am mourning the number of businesses that will not make it through this lockdown. It makes me sad to think of the way things were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can only hope and pray that things will turn around for those who are affected.

    Thanks for sharing at the 'My Corner of the World' link up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are lucky in Australia - life is beginning to return to some semblance of normal. I do feel for people living in other countries than this one - the Lucky Country.

    ReplyDelete