Thursday 28 May 2020

In these strange and uncertain times...



I'm exploring my neighbourhood making bigger and more varied loops seeking out Dispatches from Elsewhere. I came out of the railway tunnel like I so often do, and noticed this colourful sign that I'm certain was not there the day before. Again I was flooded with anticipatory excitement. 'This is it!' I thought, mistakenly believing the line at the bottom was an arrow, and in the bushes I would find a clue (or even a little door...but let's face it, even I knew that was unrealistic but my mind was willing it to be). I love that I'm getting these little highs of delight and amusement. I am indeed seeing the world with new eyes.



I explored a short cut through an alley and discovered someone had written a whole stanza of a poem in pink chalk on the wall. I posted a thank you on the local FB page but no one has claimed ownership of the action, nor explanation as to why. It's hard to read in the picture so the verse is here as I'm not sure what the copyright rules are on the reproduction, however it's about the magnificence of experience beyond our humdrum existence.




Then just round the corner I discovered some small plastic crosses had been discarded artfully on the street next to a sad ant drawing. I don't know what it meant but it felt like part of the puzzle...






Each of these discoveries feels like a 'clue' and brings me a rush of delight and a feeling of joy in this very small existence that I'm currently living as we ease out of restrictions.


You can see a lot of this on my Insta if you want to join in the fun (or the crazy, not entirely sure which?)

Are you chasing whimsy and magic in your life, in these strange and uncertain times?

Linking this throwback to strange days with #MondayMurals 





30 comments:

  1. I've never thought of seeing signs in the street as clues but I love that way of seeking magic in life, it's a very interesting approach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you find discoveries that bring you delights and joy. We need to tap into our creativity as much as possible in these uncertain times. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia, I'm enjoying your adventures in the urban environment during this period of restriction. Whimsy is such a wonderful word and not used or experienced often enough. Have a lovely week. #lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia, there are clues to life everywhere, aren't there? Even if they weren't intentionally clues, they get us thinking and what if-ing....

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a bit of whimsy Lydia, it speaks to my soul!#lifethisweek

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting article, thanks for sharing #globalblogging@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha I love this! I have noticed a lot of things but not whimsy signs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are certainly fnding some fun things to think about even if not the goal you were searching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These make one stop & think!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That verse is awesome and so appropriate. I love the butterflies. In my wanderings this week I found a path through the rainforest that I hadn't seen (or wandered) before. Here's to another week of discovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the boardwalk in the rainforest? That was just gorgeous!

      Delete
  11. The butterflies are so beautiful. So colorful. A huge Awww.

    Thank you for joining the Awww Mondays Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Awww Monday and week. Be safe. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of the best parts of lockdown has been discovering all the footpaths in our village. #GlobalBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/06/more-quarantine-baking.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good post Lydia good to see your keeping occupied heheh!

    Have a safetastic week 😷😷😷

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a good eye, Lydia, and I like how you linked all these sayings/poems together.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the colorful, first image.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I love this idea of truly looking around you and seeing. I need to slow down and see things too. I wonder what signs I will see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The butterflies and flowers really brighten up that wall. We definitely need some cheering up in these dark times. Thanks for linking up on Amanda’s Books and More!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you see beauty in small things which is the secret to a good life

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an interesting combination of finds! I hope they all made your smile :)

    Thanks for being a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. And I am back...to comment and say, thank you for linking up. Google seems to know me again!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Babushka lives and loves "Whimsy & Magic". Heart is happy you're enjoying your new sense of scenery. BB2U

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is for certain! This year has been so crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. How lovely that you are exploring your local area and seeing things in a different way and greater detail. Thanks for linking up with #globalblogging

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have taken interesting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Indeed. In these strange and uncertain times, a garden can do a lot of good

    ReplyDelete
  28. So nice to discover new things and take pleasure in unexpected finds. The mural is lovely. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals

    ReplyDelete
  29. Quite a nice and unique way of discovering and interpreting these murals.

    ReplyDelete