Monday 24 January 2022

“Each of us has the power and responsibility to become a rainbow in the clouds.” - Maya Angelou


Linking with #BlueMonday


GRATITUDE: We had a long weekend away with all the kids, including the eldest who moved out last year. I loved having everyone together. And I think the younger siblings loved having their big sister back. I am so grateful we got to do that, though I am sad because I suspect it was the last...










LOVE: The Jeffrey Smart exhibition in Canberra is well worth the visit. It's joyous and uplifting, it's funny (humourous) and it makes you look at every day objects and streetscapes in a new light. It really changed, at least for awhile, how I viewed the world, and I saw beauty in the strangest of places!

I love this one because I'm often on this road and it was instantly recognisable - though very differnet landscape these days.
Linking wiht #RubyTuesdayToo





HEALTH: So far, all good. I do feel it's only a matter of time, and probably when schools go back is when we will get hit.....We've not been eating in restaurants or bars but have been going to shows (masked the whole time). However, we did eat out in Narooma. I thought I might do a RAT this morning before my daughter's friend comes over as I've a stuffy nose (but I suspect that is more from the ice cold waters with the seals...see below).

CONNECTION: I have a friend that loves Hamilton and I am taking her on Australia Day as I won the $10 tickets. It will be fun seeing it with someone who is so into it.  I haven't celebrated Australia day the last few years as it feels false to celebrate when it is dividing the country....




APPRECIATION: We snorkelled with seals in Barunguba (Montague Island) off Narooma. It was AMAZING. I have a deeper appreciation for these wonderful creatures as well as how we humans are really such a small part of the planet (yet sadly the have a  destructive streak that impacts on a grand scale). Unfortunately, my camera has broken and the zoom won't focus so I missed a lot of fantastic shots. I am hoping a service will fix it as the same camera has gone UP in price, serveral hundred dollars. It's weird!! I had thought I'd get this fixed & give to my youngest and get me a newer one with better capabilities but the prices are bananas.


CARE:  A friend put up a meme that she thought was a speech her friend made - and one of the lines is 'You are not Atlas, you don't carry the world on your shoulders'. Everyone seemed to like that. My mother said something similar about not bothering herself with the troubles of the world. I am at odds with this. I understand you can't save everyone, nor can you change everything, but surely you have to try? Isn't it how we got into this mess by just caring about our own personal worries, rather than the big picture? Why do we only care about what impacts us? I am really surprised that no one seems to care anymore? I understand there's a futility in railing against things you can't change, but surely you have to at least try? 


Linking with #SaturdayCritters (for the seals) #FridayBliss  #OurWorldTuesday  #MCoW #TheRandom   #LinkupPotpourri  #FriendshipFriday



18 comments:

  1. So glad you had a family vacation and all enjoyed it ~ change is not always easy but a constant of life. ~ Xo ~ Beautiful photos ~ beach looks so inviting ~ Xo

    Wishing you lots of laughter in your days,

    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics from Narooma & that Smart exhibition looks great. I too am at odds with the you don't carry the world on your shoulder thing. On the one hand I agree with it, but on the other, if you don't say or act then what is wrong will become accepted just because no one can say it's wrong...and that's not right...if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely vacation!

    I, too, disagree with your mother. I have always cared about the environment, but now that I have grandchildren, it is more important to me than ever. While, I don’t think it helps anyone to make yourself sick with the anxiety of it, I do think it’s important to be informed, discuss it, vote, and do your part. My husband and I just bought an electric vehicle. We didn’t need a new vehicle. The one we had wasn’t quite three years old. But it’s important to us to do what we can.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you were able to have a lovely family holiday at Narooma and I get the oldest child and it maybe the last of such holidays so am happy you all enjoyed the time together.
    The whole carrying the world on your shoulders things is hard as everyone has had so much worry and anxiety for a few years now and some people just can't take anymore and would rather live in their own world. I'm at odds with that approach too and we all should at least try to do what w can without making ourselves sick with the anxiety of it all. #weekendcoffeeshare

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had a lovely vacation with your family. The exhibition looks interesting. I believe we can each do something to make positive changes. Thank you for linking up with #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea - none of us can save the world but I do think we have a responsibility to leave those we do interact with, better off than we found them.
    Day after day, this alone can make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you got the chance to go away Lydia (and to snorkel with the seals). The reality of covid and how we each deal with it will always be a conudrum - some want to know every little detail and agonize over it all, others just want to focus on what they have some control over. I don't think we can change the world, but we can care about others, be responsible, and do our bit - that's how I handle it all atm. Omicron has arrived in WA so it's just a matter of time til we're inundated with it too - sigh....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hoping for you that it stays managable but the night club news is not good. That's sort of what set it off here (nothing against night clubs just a mass of people getting infected at once - could just have easily been a wedding or funral like with alpha and delta)

      Delete
  8. I enjoyed your beginning quote and the quote your friend shared. I think there has to be a balance and it doesn't mean we don't care but our own mental health and perhaps physical health can be at risk if we are trying to worry about every single person we may encounter. And not just in regards to what maybe you're referring to, but in so many areas of life. It's a tough one. Glad you spent some time with family. Swimming with seals could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning ocean views. Here everything is frozen and the snow is pouring once again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! It looks like you had an amazing long weekend away. Can I ask which beach you went to? It looks absolutely stunning!!! Thank you for joining us for #mischiefandmemories xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very positive post. Glad you were able to meet up with the whole family and love the sights you have shared with us. Thanks for linking up with #MischiefAndMemories

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I care very much. I think the blog world has helped us all see what is happening all over the world and have concern for others that have it worse than we do. We are still trying to stay healthy and doing things in nature to enjoy our lives. I'm glad you had some time with family. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful vacation pics. Interesting exhibition!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello,
    Your family vacation sounds lovely, the beach is beautiful. Snorkeling with the seals would be fun. I believe we each can do our small part, which together would be a big help for the world. Love the seal photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your new week ahead. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, :=) I care very much about our environment, and I think that if we all did our bit, however small the world would be a better place.

    Nice to see the lovely beach where you were able to enjoy a holiday with all the family. It also must have been wonderful to swim with the seals, and visit the exhibition in Canberra. I enjoyed seeing all your photos, the painting is interesting.

    ReplyDelete