Friday 18 February 2022

Blink of an eye

I have mentioned before my recycling on the fence, and the regulars that come past and chat. I was putting out the toys the other morning and this woman I didn't recognise said hello as if she knew me. I was a little confused at first, and then realised she was missing her shadow. She was usually followed by a little preschooler, more of a feisty toddler with whom she would argue kindly to 'just take ONE thing'.

It suddenly occurred to me, that in lockdown, that little girl had grown up. She was now in kindergarten! I commented as much and we lamented how the little one's lives flashed by in a blink of an eye. It really hit home to me how much time the last two years of lockdowns had stolen. Especially from our 10 -25-year-olds.

We chatted for a bit more and parted. Two mothers at very different stages of their parenting life but bonded by the same love and longing for the precious, fleeting moments of childhood. 



Linking with #TrafficJamWeekend #UnlimitedLinkParty  #LinkUpPotPourri #FriendshipFriday

loopyloulaura

12 comments:

  1. It is such a shock when we see kiddies after a few years.... time goes by so quickly. They grow so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes feel a little guilty about how small the impact of the pandemic has been upon me over the last couple of years Lydia. So many have lost so much and I wonder what history will say about this time and the decisions that have been made and the fallout from it all....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely to see two mothers at different stages chatting about how it goes by so quickly - I agree, it flashes by! I hope the little girl enjoys being at school and that she and her mum are coping with all the changes involved. It will be interesting to see what impact the past 2 years have on the various age groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly is true that the years go by so quickly. It really just seems like very recently that my children were children. They are now in their 40s. How did that happen! When I think of my grandchildren, I'm aware of time passing quickly. I haven't seen them in almost three years due to covid. The photos I see are three boys who are growing too quickly. I loved reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, yes. You'll have that moment I had when you finally see them. It's so weird.

      Delete
  5. I'm' always so surprised at how fast other people's children seem to grow. I mean mine grow pretty fast too but I don't notice nearly as much with the day to day interactions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time passes in a blink of an eye. Curious that we feel as if time is standing still, then one day we realize that time has passed us by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've observed similar. Babies at the beginning of the pandemic now walking and talking. Real little people who have known no different, who's whole lives have seen adults in masks and not known the freedoms we had before this. Time is so long for the young and yet so fast for us adults.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I notice the under 3s when I am out and about, and they only "know" adults and older kids wearing masks. They don't know why most likely but that is their normal.

    Thank you for linking up to Life This Week at Denyse Whelan Blogs.
    Next Monday, on the last day of February, I have a special announcement of interest to all who link up their blog posts with my blog’s link up party.

    I look forward to catching up with you then.

    Denyse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww that's such a lovely fleeting memory to hold onto. Lock down certainly turned the little ones lives upside down. When I chat to my own 9 year old about it, she remembers the time as being extra family time -something she loved dearly. As always, it's great to have you on #mischiefandmemories x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw amazing how much they grow x #mischeieveandmemories

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time whizzes by so quickly. I feel sad when I think of the stages my own children have grown out of. Thanks for linking up with #MischiefAndMemories

    ReplyDelete