Thursday 20 October 2022

What's on my bookshelf - October

I just finished this book for book club. It was interesting but I wouldn't really recommend it unless you're a big fan. Some of the stories are great (the time in Africa and Middle East in particular and the societal/cultural commentary on the UK) but a lot of it is thanking people (which is lovely) or name dropping people in not such interesting anecdotes. I didn't know any of these people but if I loved them and their music, it probably would have been a more enjoyable book. I found it interesting enough, but I wouldn't say rush out and get it unless you are a fan.





We have just started An Ordinary Epidemic, also for book club, and I am really enjoying it. I can't believe it was written in 2015. A friend said she had trouble getting it published because it was to unbelievable, that 'that would never happen'. However I'm halfway through and she NAILS the Covid pandemic in Sydney...the familiarity adds to the enjoyment of the book, but it's also an easy and engaging read so far.








I'm listening to The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart, which is not what the cover implies (to me). It's very interesting and unusual. Again not at the end but I'm enjoying it. It does cover domestic violence in the beginning so it might be upsetting for some people, however, that is not the focus of the novel.



We did A Single Man in the other book club and I really enjoyed it. It's funny (and wicked) and kooky, and not what I was expecting at all. How it's a movie is beyond me. It's predominately an internal narrative, with no action. 

It's been a little slow on book front this month...what's on your bookshelf?


Linking with #MonthlyBookWorm and #FriendshipFriday #TrafficJamWeekend #WhatsOnMyBookshelf #WeekendCoffeeShare #UnlimitedLinkParty


bookworms monthly linky
loopyloulaura

My Random Musings

16 comments:

  1. I recently began a re-listen of The Lost Flowers but got stuck in a certain part and decided I didn't have the energy to keep going. The author now has a brand new book out, and if anything, to story line looks WAY more complicated...I do think lovers of Holly Ringland would enjoy it...and she's Aussie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for joining us for What's On Your Bookshelf. 'An Ordinary Epidemic' sounds very interesting. It is fascinating how some books managed to nail our Covid experience years before it existed. 'Pull of the Stars' by Emma Donoghue also does that. It is also a very powerful read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia, I hadn't heard of An Ordinary Pandemic but it's now on my list. Thanks for highlighting it. As for Lost Flowers, we read it for book club and have the group loved it and have didn't enjoy it at all. I was in the loved it group even though it was heartbreaking. I love how we are all different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of the books you mentioned, I read The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart a while ago. Thank you for reading with us at #weekendcoffeeshare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An Ordinary Epidemic sounds like a fascinating read. The book about the musicians does seem a very random choice for a book club! I can't imagine it is very well read.
    Popping over from At Home a Lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite an interesting mix of genres Lydia - I haven't read any of them (haven't even heard of any of them). I guess being in a couple of book clubs keeps the reading list more eclectic. I'm on the hunt for a new author atm - so you've given me some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I confess that I'm not familar with those titles. Thanks for sharing, its lovely to hear of new books to add to my to be read list. I am currently reading Book 2 from the Fall of Shannara Series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at books! Thank you so much for sharing your reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lydia I love the eclectic mix of books that your present to us. I have read The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart which I enjoyed but was not what I had expected. Thanks for joining us for WOBYS and Happy Reading x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lydia, I have the Lost Flowers on my audible list so will get to it one day! You have given me food for thought with some of your books, particularly An Ordinary Epidemic. Thanks for joining us for WOYBS with your always interesting mix! Your bookclub discussions must be great fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart, but liked Ringland's writing as much as anything. I'm trying to write a review of her latest book but struggling to put my thoughts into words. It dips into the mystical which I don't usually enjoy but it was easy to push that to the side I think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been wondering what books to download onto my Kindle, this has helped me to decide #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  13. They all sound pretty interesting, I've not read any of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not heard of any of these before. Great picks to look into. I'm still reading *don't laugh... I owe you one by Sophie Kinsella. It's such a giggle, but I've promised myself I won't buy anything more until I've finished it. As always, we love having you join us for the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sound of An Ordinary Epidemic, hope the author doesn't predict any other disasters! Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  16. I might have to check out An Ordinary Epidemic. Always interesting to see how authors portray something that ends up happening!

    ReplyDelete