Wednesday 12 October 2022

Captive in Paradise


 In the last hour before departure, I posted this from the hot tub as I lamented having to return home after a very relaxing 5 days on Lord Howe island. It was a paradise both in beauty and in the abundance of marine life and birds to encounter up close and with ease. However, as they say in Iceland (well, in Fire Saga), sometimes the Elves go too far....

 

A problem with the plane left us waiting at the airport for four hours until they announced we would be staying another night. It was very well organised and easy (not like a chaotic time we were off loaded in a big foreign city we were meant to transit through) so I really can't complain. By the time we hit the airport the next day, I was keen to get home to see my adult kids and the dog, and get on with all the work that was beginning to pile up. 



That night we had dinner in town (a first as both resorts we stayed in provided meals) and I managed to see a sunset, which had hidden in the clouds all week. We also stopped at the cute little bar I'd been eyeing off all week for a post dinner Negroni so there really was nothing to complain about!

They fixed the plane but the weather was a problem, as it's a visuals only airstrip. One plane was turned away for landing, so there was already a plane load that would be housed. We waited another few hours but then a small window appeared and we were hurried onto the plane. Loading and take off were completed within about 20 mins and it was an amazingly smooth flight, given the cloud cover.



So the #OneSmallThing I am happy for is to be home and back in my 'real life' and I guess that has to be a good thing!









What's the #OneSmallThing that made you happy this week?


loopyloulaura





22 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! So glad you made it home safe and sound despite the unexpected overnight delay. You certainly seemed to have made the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful place. Nothing like going to a beautiful place to unwind for a week. Lucky you.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if you can't leave, you might as well enjoy another night in paradise. I am glad you had a smooth trip home. Enjoy your week. I am joining you at Communcal Global-Wednesday around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a beautiful location to have a delayed flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another day in paradise! Yes please. I know it wasn't ideal, but how lovely to have had an extra night and try out dinner in town :-) It looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing your adventures on the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots despite the worry of not getting home when expected. I particularly like the silhouette type pics and am very jealous of the hot tub! Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam and please make sure you comment on all posts

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sky really is beautiful, and it's a lovely looking place to stay, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be about flying after that, I'm glad your flight was safe and good in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful place, but there is a melancholy in your photos, Lydia. There is something quasi-apocalyptic in them - serene on the surface, but underneath it all something terrible seems to be brewing... A metaphor for the whole messy world situation we are living through now? Thank you for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The empty streets and the contrast with the dark pines (you Melbourians, and us Sydneysiders are a little triggered by empty streets now, I think)

      Delete
  9. How awesome is that!

    Thanks for sharing your link at My Corner of the World this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. I had to find Lord Howe Island as I have never heard of it and I loved the description of your layover and making the best of things. I love that as most of us (including me) languish into whining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noticed that has become my trait - languishing in whining...

      Delete
  11. What nice photos looks lovely there glad you was looked after whe you was delayed :-)

    Have a captivetastic week 👍

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely place to be delayed in! I've had several such delays and they are often a blessing in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry that you couldn't get home. Very nice pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just look at that sky - wow! What stunning scenes you've snapped here. Thanks for sharing and for linking up with #MySundaySnapshot.

    ReplyDelete