Friday 9 December 2022

What's on my bookshelf - December



For bookclub I read How to Find Love in a Bookshop which was really not my thing. An easy, junky rom-com read (with not a whole lot of com...)







I laboured through The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. It has a great jacket and I enjoyed Daisy Jones but this one was too long and not interesting enough. Could have really opened up a conversation about Bi-erasure but I felt the book was (or the characters were?) a bit clunky in it's handling of the matter. And ultimately I just didn't care by the end. I really loved all that old Hollywood era so I think I should have liked it more. However, I'm pretty out of step on this and everyone I know recommends it, so probably just ignore my opinion.



I am currently listening to A kind of Magic. It's quite confronting and sad but at times funny. This is definitely not a book for everyone. I don't really know what I think of it yet. 








The book I loved - it is truly delightful - I stumbled across by accident. This is not a book about Benedict Cumberbatch is more than a book about weird celebrity crushes. It's about why women lose their sense of self, why women suddenly discover they don't have interested (or only acceptable interests - looking at you bookculbs!), sexism and so much more....It's hilarious, weird, kooky and fun - with a tiny bit of science and psychology thrown in. In one way I think the title is a genius hook and in another I think it's quite misleading and people who should read it won't. 


Very short for this month and away until February. So to my bookish friends, may the holidays grant you plenty of time to indulge in the pages of worlds imagined....


Linking with #WhatsonMyBookshelfchallenge #WeekendCoffeeShare #TrafficJamWeekend and #WonderfulWednesday #FriendshipFriday
loopyloulaura
bookworms monthly linky

My Random Musings

19 comments:

  1. That's interesting that you didn't enjoy The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I was wondering whether to read it, but I'm one of the very few people who didn't much like Daisy Jones, so I didn't want to get stuck with another book I wouldn't much enjoy!
    I definitely wouldn't have liked How to Find Love in a Bookshop either!
    Popping over from Bookworms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you didn't like Daisy Jones, then I would say hard no to Hugo. It lacks the novelty of format of DaisyJones (tho attempts something similar) and just seemed way too long...

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your reading was a bit hit and miss. I sometimes find that too, but at least some were a success for you #Bookworms Monthly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up...It certainly sounds like it's been a hit and miss (with more miss than hit) reading month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lydia - Thank you for joining us for #WOYBS. I greatly appreciate your candid reviews. Enjoy your holidays. See you in February!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So funny; I HATED Daisy Jones and really enjoyed Evelyn Hugo! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia, I had the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo on my list for a few months now but haven't read it. I'm glad I read your review before I started it. There have been quite a few books this year that I have been disappointed with and I've decided not to waste my time if the book doesn't capture me in the first 100 pages. I have noted the Tabitha Carvan book as one TBR and although it isn't about Benedict Cumberbatch I'm still a fan LOL :) Thanks so much for joining us for #WOYBS in 2022. Best wishes for the Festive Season and I look forward to sharing our love of reading each month in #WOYBS 2023. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people like it so I might be the odd one out. I adored the Cumberbatch book and I don't even have a thing for him. It's so great.

      Delete
  7. I'm a bit hit and miss with Anna SR on Twitter so not sure I'd enjoy her book... and of course I don't read non-fiction anyway. I've only read the one Taylor Jenkins Reid (Carrie Sotto) and enjoyed that but I'd heard good things about The Seven Husbands...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone else I know loves it so maybe ignore me...:)

      Delete
  8. The last book on your lists sounds interesting. Thank you for your weekend coffee share. Have a wonderful holiday! See you in Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lydia - quite an ecclectic mix again for you. I'd thought of reading The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo but every review I've read has been on a similar theme to yours, so I'll be giving it a miss. That last book sounds interesting though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lydia, an interesting array of books and I've heard mixed things about The Seven Wives of Evelyn Hugo but I'm very interested in the This is not a book about Benedict Cumberbatch. Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't too wild about "The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo". I preferred Taylor Jenkins Reid's other novels like "Malibu Rising" and "Daisy Jones..."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agreat selection of books on your shelf#dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh I'll be adding some of these to my TBR pile! Thanks for the recommendations and linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard of a few of those books but haven't read them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was the opposite of you. I liked Seven Husbands of Eveyln Hugo. BUT I think it's because I could relate to her so much. I was a player and married two men for the wrong reasons. I was secretly in love with my husband since I was 13, but he was forbidden to me due my mother. Even when I became old enough to choose him, I still didn't do it out of fear of disappointing my mother. I praise God everyday that we got to where we are now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a lovely story. I'm glad you finally got where you needed to be.

      Delete