Wednesday 19 April 2023

What's on my bookshelf - April

 I was off at Bluesfest and then down to Bluesfest - my reading and audiobook listening is at a standstill.

I had got this book in the book advent calender and thought it would be a good junk beach read. And it is. But it's also got a little more too it. It has lots of ideas hidden in the laughs.

How women are wired to make themselves small and apologise for things that aren't their fault, not acuase a scene and so on. Body issues. Sex (there is a lot of sex - weirdly untittilating sex, just words of sex so if that is shocking, along with a lot of swearing, it may not be your thing).

Set in the music industry of the 90's, or music magazine industry of that time, there's a lot of nostalgia for me too. 

She does at time have a beautiful turn of phrase - my favourite being that 'A book is a beautiful, paper mausoleum..in which to store ideas'.

I've ordered her other books so I guess that's a sign of how much I like it, and a copy for a friend as a gift.

Very short and sweet for me in the book stakes. Hope to get my head and foucs in order soon.


Linking with #FriendshipFriday #MonthlyBookworms and #WOYBS



My Random Musings

13 comments:

  1. HI Lydia great that you have joined us for WOYBS and this book does sound interesting. I'm sure anything set in the music industry would have a few 'shocks' but you obviously enjoyed it as you've ordered more books by the author. Happy Reading and I look forward to you sharing what you've read at next month's WOYBS link up x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading Caitlin Moran's columns in The Times and love her writing...maybe I should give this one a go? Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always conflicted about Caitlin Moran. Sometimes she makes me laugh out loud, but other times I find her a bit preachy. I believe I started this book ( and also How to be a woman) but didn't finish. She has a huge fan base so it's just me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly I was reading a bit yesterday and I thought of your comment. Except she's preaching to the choir here so I didn't mind. I did get your point tho....:)

      Delete
    2. I am going to read some of these books#dreamteam

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of this author before; but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither had I and I would never have picked it at a bookshop - I thought it was just some romance/Bridget Jones kind of thing. But very wrong indeed.

      Delete
  5. I read this a couple of years ago and found it to be very entertaining. I love Caitlin Moran. Her factual writing (she writes for The Times newspaper) is even funnier and more entertaining (and informative) than her fiction.
    Popping over from At Home a Lot Bookworms Monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this book and author with us Lydia, sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Caitlin Moran before. This looks like a solid read - and set in the 90's would certainly be my cup of tea. Thank you for sharing this read over on the #DreamTeam xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haven't heard of this one. Not sure it's something I'd enjoy, but I'm glad you did! Visiting from BookWorms Monthly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had a 'slow' month book wise too. This sounds intriguing, I like the era it's written from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that women are taught to be biddable, not sure I like the sound of the sex scenes though...Thanks for linking up with #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete